Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can light sparring punches lead to brain damage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amateurboxer19 View Post
    Okay thank you, I will just find proper techniques and train correctly without sparring and avoid confrontation unless it is absolutely necessary. I want to live a long healthy life
    But you've missed the point of one on one combat, learning to defend yourself. Get a few amateur bouts, have some fun. If you come out as a brain damaged fool I would bet that you rolled in to it that way.

Amatuer boxing is simply a great sport. The things that I learned easily out weigh any damage that may have happened. ..…..Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Your headgear comment, while believed by many, has actually been proven false. Thus, why the amateurs no longer wear headgear in sanctioned bouts. (It is now optional I believe). Same with your 16oz glove comment, not true. While these larger barriers do limit the amounts of serious brain injuries the smaller injuries are actually multiplied because you will first be jarred by the initial blow (padding of the glove/headgear) and then the force of the fist and body behind it. So your brain will bounce multiple times in your skull adding more possibilities for injuries.

Up in my quote, your first sentence is A1, on point, that's the fact Jack comments ever posted in these forums. …………..Rockin'
      Not the first time I've heard someone stated this but I beg to differ.

I spar with my mates sometimes and he doesn't use headgear because he said the same thing about what you said but I use headgear equipment for the safety of not getting bruised in the face or getting hit - I'll ask my coach about this anyway.

I'm big on health and safety and I think it should always come first. Especially in a sport like boxing.

Why do professional boxers use headgear then? I see most of them use winnings (Japanese brand) which must be very good.
      Last edited by Quiksilva; 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilva View Post
        Not the first time I've heard someone stated this but I beg to differ.

I spar with my mates sometimes and he doesn't use headgear because he said the same thing about what you said but I use headgear equipment for the safety of not getting bruised in the face or getting hit - I'll ask my coach about this anyway.

I'm big on health and safety and I think it should always come first. Especially in a sport like boxing.

Why do professional boxers use headgear then? I see most of them use winnings (Japanese brand) which must be very good.
        To protect the fighter from cuts. Get butted or catch an elbow...…. so now you don't get paid for any fight for months...…..Rockin'

Comment

Sparring is overrated when you reach a certain level, you don't need to be sparring every-time you are in the gym.

Also Brendan Ingle used to have his fighters body sparring 'Only hitting to the body and arms etc'.

Comment

Soccer players have been found to show brain damage as a result of heading soccer balls, so yes, it is a safe assumption that even "trivial" punches to the head are likely to cause brain damage and that the more blows one takes the greater that damage is likely to be.

Comment

Even light punches aren't good for the brain but how else will you get good at boxing & fighting without sparring

Comment

I’m a physician. I spar because it’s fun. There’s no evidence that sparring causes brain damage. “Light hits to the head cause damage over time” sounds scientific but I have never seen data to back that when it comes to amateurs sparring in the ring. Ali thought holding his head out to be hit while sparring, purposely, would strengthen his head. This clearly is not a good idea. Sparring is not a competition fight. There should really not be head shots with intent to KO. Sparring is fun and makes all the training more purposeful and relevant.

Comment

If you're not really training to be competitive in real bout, is it worth the risk during sparring? Very difficult to quantify how hard of a blow will cause lasting damage. In my thinking, any blow that displaces the fluid around your brain and causes the brain to come in contact with the skull has the potential to cause lasting damage

Comment

Originally posted by Amateurboxer19 View Post
                    Had my first spar today and got whooped but the punches to the head were light. Has anyone ever had mental decline from sparring punches?
                    Did it look like this?

Comment

Working...
                    X