No announcement yet.

Hinata Maruta defeated world ranked Canoy...on debut

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowBlowKO View Post
    No interest in the fight now its actually been found?
    I already watched the fight once, thanks for the link. Will watch again later.
    First impressions, well it was expected to be a tough fight and it was. Tough opponent for a pro debut. Most other prospects don't even fight that type of opponent until 20 fights into their career.
    I actually scored the fight a draw at first watch. Canoy took the last two rounds for me and he at least won one of the first four rounds. Round 6 was closer than round 5, but Canoy landed the more meaningful shots whereas Maruta just moved around and he definitely looked tired. If I had to give it someone it would have been to Canoy. I thought he was landing the cleaner shots. Can't be too tough on Maruta. Extremely difficult opponent for a debut and this should be a learning experience. He definitely shouldn't be rushed to a title. If I'm not mistaken, I remember his team, before this fight, said it was a 3-year plan to the title. Sounds about right. I think he's at least like 3 or 4 years away from a title. Like I said shouldn't be rushed.
    I watched the fight hours ago so I may have forgotten a few things, so that's why I will watch again when I have time.

I want to see if I see anything different when I watch it a second time. Also, his second pro fight should be more telling on how fast they could move him. For now I would say not to rush him.

Thanks for the link once again.

Comment

I'll have to give this a watch some time tomorrow. Interesting to see he has been put in against a tough pro straight off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
        I already watched the fight once, thanks for the link. Will watch again later.
        First impressions, well it was expected to be a tough fight and it was. Tough opponent for a pro debut. Most other prospects don't even fight that type of opponent until 20 fights into their career.
        I actually scored the fight a draw at first watch. Canoy took the last two rounds for me and he at least won one of the first four rounds. Round 6 was closer than round 5, but Canoy landed the more meaningful shots whereas Maruta just moved around and he definitely looked tired. If I had to give it someone it would have been to Canoy. I thought he was landing the cleaner shots. Can't be too tough on Maruta. Extremely difficult opponent for a debut and this should be a learning experience. He definitely shouldn't be rushed to a title. If I'm not mistaken, I remember his team, before this fight, said it was a 3-year plan to the title. Sounds about right. I think he's at least like 3 or 4 years away from a title. Like I said shouldn't be rushed.
        I watched the fight hours ago so I may have forgotten a few things, so that's why I will watch again when I have time.

I want to see if I see anything different when I watch it a second time. Also, his second pro fight should be more telling on how fast they could move him. For now I would say not to rush him.

Thanks for the link once again.
        Had it 58-55 to Maruta personally. Gave Canoy rounds 2 and 5, could see the 6th being given level. Then again if the bout was in the UK the ref would have stopped that in round 4 when Canoy was all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by fighting man View Post
          Had it 58-55 to Maruta personally. Gave Canoy rounds 2 and 5, could see the 6th being given level. Then again if the bout was in the UK the ref would have stopped that in round 4 when Canoy was all over the place.
          Interesting I'll have another look at it in a few hours.
          Do you agree that he shouldn't be rushed?

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
            Interesting I'll have another look at it in a few hours.
            Do you agree that he shouldn't be rushed?
            Personally I'd keep him on a fast track...give him an 8 rounder in March, 10 towards the summer and then a Japanese or OPBF title fight in November/December. I think there was probably a lot of nervous energy and stuff in there which will have taken it's toll on his stamina.
            He can't really take a step back IMO so might as well continue swimming with sharks.

Comment

So I'm rewatching it now. I'm going to give a little breakdown after every round. Nothing super deep just a small break-down after every round.
              Round 1: Maruta was able to keep Canoy at distance and didn't let him work when he did get close. 10-9 Maruta

Round 2: Canoy was able to bully Maruta into the corners and ropes on multiple occasions in this round. Clear Canoy round. Canoy was wild with his shots and missed plenty, but Maruta simply didn't land anything clean and wasn't able to maintain distance like he was in round 1. Maruta was able to defend nicely for the most part, but he just didn't land anything of his own. 10-9 Canoy (19-19)

Round 3: It started off really competitive. Maruta landed at distance, but Canoy was able to get close. Difference between this round and round 2 was that Canoy didn't corner Maruta and Maruta also worked on the inside. Towards the end of the round Maruta visibly hurt Canoy with headshots and body shots and eventually drops him (I forgot to score the Knockdown on my original score earlier). 10-8 Maruta (29-27 Maruta)

Round 4: Canoy was still obviously bothered from the knockdown. For a good minute or minute and a half it was all Maruta. Canoy tried his best to push, but to no success. Maruta attacked the body, probably noting that it is what hurt Canoy late in round 3. Canoy then has a good 15 second spurt where he tries to work Maruta on the inside, but it quickly comes to an end as Maruta hurts him badly with a straight right. This round was all Maruta. 10-9 Maruta (I could even see a case for this being another 10-8 without a knockdown as Canoy seemed hurt almost all of the round.) (Total: 39-36 Maruta)

Round 5: Although Canoy was the one hurt the last two rounds it really didn't show in this round as he was able to corner and snap Maruta's head back on several occasions. Maruta tried his best to keep Canoy away, but to no avail. It was all Canoy this round. Clear round for Canoy. 10-9 Canoy. (Total: 48-46 Maruta)

Round 6: This was the closest round without a doubt. Maruta tried to keep Canoy at distance with good success. Canoy wasn't able to do anything to him for the first half of the round. Only problem was that Maruta really didn't land anything himself. He threw but didn't land. Maruta didn't have anything on his punches anymore, he was visibly tired. It showed as Canoy came on strong in the last minute or so and landed on occasion (even snapping Maruta's head back). Maruta moved nicely and made Canoy miss plenty, but I have to give it to the guy that was actually landing. If Maruta landed, not even hard shots just landed, then maybe it would have been his round. Canoy landed a lot in like the last 30 seconds of that round. He came on really strong in the last part of that round. Like I said close round. It just a matter of what you prefered. Maruta's movement and defense, but no accuracy OR Canoy landing the more meaningful punches (or just landing punches in general as Maruta really didn't land much of anything this round), but being made look silly at times when he missed and him not cutting the ring off properly like in previous rounds. 10-9 Canoy
              TOTAL: 57-56 Maruta

Difference for me was the knockdown. However, Round 4 could have been scored 10-8 for Maruta.

The fight and my score definitely look different on second watch. I'll give myself a pass on this one since I wasn't fully/only focused on the fight the first time I watched. I see the potential. I just wouldn't rush him to a title. He's really young, plenty of time. They should keep him fighting these type of opponents so he could learn. He's still a few years away from fighting the elite.

Personally I'd keep him on a fast track...give him an 8 rounder in March, 10 towards the summer and then a Japanese or OPBF title fight in November/December. I think there was probably a lot of nervous energy and stuff in there which will have taken it's toll on his stamina.
              He can't really take a step back IMO so might as well continue swimming with sharks.
              When I say don't rush him I don't mean taking a step back. I think it would be good for him to keep fighting these type of opponents. Japanese boxers only fight two or three times a year, so this wouldn't hurt. If he were fighting five or six times then I would say to maybe take a step back. I didn't like how he kept getting his head snapped back throughout the fight.
              I do like your plan. I think he should stay at domestic level for a year or a year and a half.
              I don't think he should be rushed to a title or towards elite competition. I guess it really depends on which weight he decides to stay in. It'll probably be 118 or 122. If they could find him an easy belt in one of those division so be it if not then they should be careful.
              I think they should take the first two years to fight the best domestic and continental fighters.

I don't want to be too harsh on the kid, I mean look at the type of opponent he fought in his debut. I just think they should be careful that is all.
              His second fight will be more telling.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X