No announcement yet.

Cooking thread: Have a question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Bumping this to see of anyone has a question...
    Looking to buy a grill, I have no real grilling experience. Want it for grilling chicken and maybe the odd steak. What grill should I get? Can't be a gas one.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
      Looking to buy a grill, I have no real grilling experience. Want it for grilling chicken and maybe the odd steak. What grill should I get? Can't be a gas one.
      HayZ when I give my grill speech I start out by asking what a grill is? Mos people would be suprised to learn that if you have a metal container, that can hold coals, and an area you can put on top of it...you have a grill. Gas, coals, eletric are all just heat, BTU's.

With that said, when you buy a Weber, or some odd type of grill, you generally get a coated metal container with a grill top and enough ventilation that air can get/be restricted to the coals.

If you want a grill for the inside, then you buy a similar set up but with an electric element. The cheapest grills can generally be found in thrift stores, or on Craigslist, often for free. If you want an electric grill, George Foreman grills are expensive but well made. Look and make sure the element (electric prod) is well constructed, that the wires are sodered on well, and that the grill is easy to take apart and clean.

If you want a charcoal grill, what I use...and I have cooked for 50 odd people off of two of these.... is an old torn up wok. You can find these in thrift stores or used for very little to nothing. It does not matter if it is torn up, what you want is to get two big old woks that can cover each other... Then you find a cheap grill face, one that fits the wok naturally.

Woks are great because they take in air, have a great efficiency of heat...You start at a smaller point when putting the initial coal in, at the bottom, and only extend the surface of the coals around the top where the food is...Hence you burn less charcoal.

If you want to buy a nice quality grill, look at design. I would stay away from bells and whistles because at the end of the day the best grills are straight forward. There are new grills that use gels, and other portable set ups, but again, just use an eletric inside and a nice big surface area for charcoal.

Hope this helps.
      BoxingParadigm BoxingParadigm likes this.

Comment

What about pressure cookers? Does anyone have one? Is it worth buying?

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinson View Post
          Not after what happened with Rigondeaux. It blew up in his face and nearly blinded him

Comment

You do have to be careful but they are great. They allow you to quickly tenderize tough cuts. Just make sure you understand the fittings properly and, keep enough moisture in the pot. I cook pot roast and stews in a pressure cooker at times. They can also make a stock faster than conventional means.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

Not after what happened with Rigondeaux. It blew up in his face and nearly blinded him
              Cubans should stay away from pressure cookers made in the Ukraine: Fact.
              markusmod markusmod likes this.

Comment

It's a must if you are cooking oxtails, cowfoot, cow skin.
                The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

What's the best way to cook turkey for Thanksgiving? The best turkey I remember eating was fried. Would like to get as close as possible to that without actually frying it

Comment

How do the Greeks make broccoli taste so good? They make everything taste great!
                    club fighter club fighter likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinson

Wow. That's awful
                      He recovered pretty well, has fought since.

Comment

Working...
                      X