Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shakur Stevenson Inks Promotional Pact With Top Rank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It almost seems like he had no choice with J Prince in his corner, after u sign with J Prince, u are limited cause of beefs

I wonder if shakur knew about j Prince and his past issues with different people

Ultimately I think it's a limiting move, as long as bob arum is the CEO, cause bob mainly deals with hbo which has a limited budget admittedly and limited fighters in that class, if top rank was open to working on other networks, then golden (in terms of building up wins and reps in a fast pace)

At least showtime has a series like shobox where prospects can get airtime to showcase their skills
    PBC has toe to toe Tuesdays & thursdays, will hbo invest in a series for prospects, or will he just be thrown on under cards of ppvs

Also, manny and Floyd definitely made a buzz but let's be real

Who in top rank, an active fighter, is a bonafide star in mainstream sports today?

There's a lot being said about top rank makes stars

That word is being tossed around too loosely, "star"

Outside of aforementioned, and CANELO, there are no stars today that transcends boxing, so let's chill with the top rank makes stars stuff

He should have entertained Schafer, but idk if j Prince would have recommended that cause of Richard Haymon Floyd affiliation

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
      Once I saw J Prince/Ward was signed on as the kid's manager I immediately began to worry about the team behind him. (That totally took any Haymon affiliated promoter out of the picture; I thought Schaefer was the perfect guy for Stevenson) Good job by Top Rank pulling him in, but how long does Bob have left to build him up? This isn't a Loma situation. That guy was a finished product ready to go from the start.

I wish this kid well, but this is a little surprising considering the current trends in the sport. If you watch what Floyd has done with Jack, Davis (Tank), Tabiti, etc. I think it's fair to say that they are on to something at Mayweather Promotions. All of his fighters have gotten opportunities, even J'Leon Love (not all have succeeded obviously).

For example, Davis's profile has exploded over the last month. (His social media following increased by by over 200k on IG; more than almost all current champions)

I get wanting to roll with Bob (he's the best promoter of all time), but this may turn out to be a bad move as Bob is old and Prince managed fighters always end up in some contractual dispute. (Mayweather, Ward, etc.) Fingers crossed that this works out.
      Why would shaefer have been a perfect fit? Who has he ever built up from scratch?

Mayweather has never built anyone up. Yea he got Tank and Jack there title shots. But he didn't start out with them from day one.

Regardless what anyone thinks about Arum. This is a very smart step by this young man. Arum has the best matchmakers and people in place in his company who know how to build fighters from scratch.

Smart smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
        Lomachenko isn't American, so it's a little different...it's not like they have a home market in the US for him way they have with Jose Carlos Ramirez in Fresno or Crawford in Omaha.

Differnt case with Stevenson....he's from Newark, NJ...which has the Prudential Center where the NJ Devils play, so I would assume they'll have him on some fight cards there.

Top Rank also has Julian Rodriguez, who is also from New Jersey, so I would assume you'd seem them on a lot of cards together in the NY/NJ area...and that could well include the Puerto Rican cards they have in New York every year.
        That's a bad excuse. Look how GGG has built a home in NY. He sells out the Garden...

Comment

Didn't expect that but it's a good match

Comment

but but but bob arum is a snake! hes gonna steal all his money!!!! top rank is a sinking ship!!! lolllll

smart move signing with top rank. i mean, they only have a long standing proven track record but what does shakur stevenson and his team know?

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              That's a bad excuse. Look how GGG has built a home in NY. He sells out the Garden...
              In his 8th fight?

Golovkin hadn't even left Germany this many fights into his career.

Comment

Originally posted by lizard_man View Post
                Arum knows how to build boxers like no other. He has the best match makers in the business.

Plus i think Stevenson's plan is to have arum build him up then break free like odlh, mayweather etc. when the time is right.
                I agree with that assessment Odlh did, Floyd, Cotto and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                  In his 8th fight?

Golovkin hadn't even left Germany this many fights into his career.
                  I think you missed my point. Golovkin has had 9 fights in the US. His 7th fight (in the US) was at the Garden and we know how that sold.

Arum has shown he can raise a fighter but whatever he is doing with Lomachenko makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't he pick a 'home' for him and showcase him there most of the time at least.

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                    Its easy to say. Crawford Gamboa was a main event. Sold 10k tickets no comps. Algieri vs Spence was in Algieri's backyard as a co feature. Not even the main event and had local ticket sellers like Heather Hardy on the card plus Cunningham Glowacki. Spence is a good fighter but he hasn't gotten to that next level. A win over Brook would do that for him.

Lomachenko has never been a ticket seller. I never mentioned him. A guy like Verdejo sells 7k seats for Unimas shows routinely. Jose Ramirez sold 10k seats in Fresno for Unimas and the jury is still out if they will be stars but they already have fan bases. Spence has shown more ability but they have been marketed better and have bigger fan faces. Spence doesn't even fight at home. hes been fighting in NY and other places.

That isn't trolling. Those are facts.
                    They're only facts if you provide links, you still aint provide nothing, which basically means you sucking it out of your ass.

You better clean that ***** up coz aint no body gonna eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post
                      They're only facts if you provide links, you still aint provide nothing, which basically means you sucking it out of your ass.

You better clean that ***** up coz aint no body gonna eat it.
                      U didn't provide one link or any facts. Just pure BS spewing from your mouth. When has Spence headlined at home or anywhere in Texas? Exactly. Pure facts.
                      Look below as you get sonned? Jose Ramirez on a small Unimas card fought in front of a bigger crowd than Spence has ever seen and Ramirez was headlining.

Jose Ramirez outpoints Johnny Garcia - The Ring
                      http://www.******.com/405911-jose-ra...johnny-garcia/
                      Jose Ramirez has been known to dole out punishment, often dropping his ... over Johnny Garcia before a crowd of 12,130 at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif. ... The knockdown seemed to stun Ramirez and those in attendance, but ...

Comment

Working...
                      X