Collapse
No announcement yet.

holyfield's toughest foe.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have went with Qawi or Bowe but fighters tend to surprise u with their choices on these matters so id say.... Cooper?
    He said James Toney was "the most complete fighter I have fought" too so perhaps him.

EDIT: Just seen the answer was DQ, man their first fight was Special, top 10 ever for me

Comment

Kinda remember an old rumor that one of the top amateurs holyfield fought attacked or kicked him at prefight weigh in, i think it was womack but evander then went on to win the fight. someone here knows about that, right? as for toughest fight, i got 3 guesses

one- qawi, evander fights at a frenetic pace imo to keep qawi turning n moving unable to duck inside n dig in, reports later reveal that evander kidnys shut down n he need a ton of iv fluid after fight

two- bowe fight 3, the kinda condition he was in with hepatitis had to b pure hell for him to go as long as he did even tho he flattend bowe with that tasty hook

three- moorer, fight one, shoulder pain from by my memory fairly early or at least by mid fight, tho he labored on to finish n lose controversial close decision, he was clearly struggling in there

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Fine description you give of Toney in 'that' fight, my friend.
        I say 'that' because, inspite of Toney's excellence, it's always sad when an old warrior takes a beat down.. But somehow, it turned out to be, more the end for Toney, than it was for Holyfield..
        Agreed fella, the guy who met Holyfield wouldn't have been fighting on even terms with Rahman or losing decisions to Samuel Peter.

Toney could well fit the description of another thread doing the rounds at the moment.....all the natural ability in the world, but an inconsistent work ethic.

Comment

I feel like Holyfield's view is heavily influenced by personal feelings. I'd bet he'd say it was harder to fight Tyson than Lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            I felt the suffering was as much mental in the Toney fight despite the stoppage. Although taking into account Holyfield's advancing years, after round one James Toney boxed like the merged ghosts of Archie Moore and Jersey Joe Walcott. For me it was his finest performance at heavyweight......Its been a while since I last saw the fight but remember being very impressed at the time.

But Riddick Bowe caught Holyfield with some real sickeners. One uppercut nearly detached his head from his shoulders.....in round 10 from memory.
            I like that, sickeners or a sickener. I'm going to use that but give credit where it's due, because I'm not into ripping off stuff other people came up with. Even better than the other one I've heard in the last few years "****** makers."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              I like that, sickeners or a sickener. I'm going to use that but give credit where it's due, because I'm not into ripping off stuff other people came up with. Even better than the other one I've heard in the last few years "****** makers."
              Ha ha

I live on a tiny Island in the middle of nowhere......'sickener' is pretty common prose in the local boxing/martial arts community where I live. Granted it is a pretty weak adjective!

C- for my last post.

Comment

Ha ha

I live on a tiny Island in the middle of nowhere......'sickener' is pretty common prose in the local boxing/martial arts community where I live. Granted it is a pretty weak adjective!

C- for my last post.
                A fine reminder of the build up to Lewis vs Ruddock..

Remember Lewis living up to his word when he predicted, 'After the first round, my power will sicken him.'

Great phrase lol.

Comment

Big Daddy Bowe!

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    A fine reminder of the build up to Lewis vs Ruddock..

Remember Lewis living up to his word when he predicted, 'After the first round, my power will sicken him.'

Great phrase lol.

Lennox Lewis was lying; he had every intention of having poor Razor feel his power in round 1 as well. Ha ha. Unless my memory is serving me badly Lennox knocked him down first in the opening round.

Great quote though.....

Comment

Lennox Lewis was lying; he had every intention of having poor Razor feel his power in round 1 as well. Ha ha. Unless my memory is serving me badly Lennox knocked him down first in the opening round.

Great quote though.....
                      Yes, you're right, he was down 3 times in all.

Comment

Working...
                      X