No announcement yet.

Everyone I Talk to Asks Me "Who's Wilder?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone I Talk to Asks Me "Who's Wilder?"

Let's be honest, outside of the US...he's unknown, and even his popularity in the US is debatable. Colleagues who actually watch boxing now and again look puzzled when I say he's the WBC champion.

I actually like Wilder and believe he's a great KO artist and good to watch, but wtf...he needs to market himself better. The heavyweight champion is a special status in boxing and he should be using it as a platform to vocalise his opinions, views and talk a BIG fight...like Ali, Tyson...I wish he'd at least say something provocative to attract more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
      Let's be honest, outside of the US...he's unknown, and even his popularity in the US is debatable. Colleagues who actually watch boxing now and again look puzzled when I say he's the WBC champion.

I actually like Wilder and believe he's a great KO artist and good to watch, but wtf...he needs to market himself better. The heavyweight champion is a special status in boxing and he should be using it as a platform to vocalise his opinions, views and talk a BIG fight...like Ali, Tyson...I wish he'd at least say something provocative to attract more attention.
      When he has a big fight and wins it then I'm sure he'll become recognisable.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
        LMFAO! Shannon is one funny MF! "You'll just be a black man walking down the street naked..."

Let's Go Champ!

Comment

I was thinking about that the other day. Tyson knocked out a slew of bums and he was very famous before he fought anybody that good.

Different times, these.

Comment

Great, now we're getting Wilder vs. Briggs at the end of the year.

Comment

Everyone I Talk to Asks Me "Who's GGG?"

Comment

Gold

Comment

De La Hoya vs Mayweather attracted less than 1% of the American audience. Which means using localization to judge popularity is silly.

I'm not alluding to or arguing that Wilder is famous, just that you can't really tell how famous a boxer is based on who around you recognizes the name. With 1% market penetration on one of the biggest fights ever you could easily live in a place that's never heard of Oscar, but clearly Oscar is and was famous.

Comment

In all fairness that is likely true for any American fighter not named Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X