Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was more overrated; Mayweather, Jack Johnson or Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Yeah, because there was absolutely no corruption by boxing commissions back then, or the FBI. You can't prove a fix unless you can get someone to talk. No one was talking. Read, The Devil and Sonny Liston for a more thorough take on the matter.
    I actually suspect the fix story is invented to protect Liston. I really do believe he was "in" with the Mob. But lots of people were. And it seems like their days of paying guys to throw fights were in the past. Their whole M.O. is keep it quiet and don't draw attention. I am not disputing it might have happened, but it looks more likely that Liston was just a bi'tch.

Liston gave up. Blaming the Mafia provides an answer easier for his fans to digest than accepting it was by his own volition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      I actually suspect the fix story is invented to protect Liston. I really do believe he was "in" with the Mob. But lots of people were. And it seems like their days of paying guys to throw fights were in the past. Their whole M.O. is keep it quiet and don't draw attention. I am not disputing it might have happened, but it looks more likely that Liston was just a bi'tch.

Liston gave up. Blaming the Mafia provides an answer easier for his fans to digest than accepting it was by his own volition.
      There was no money with Liston as champion. He was a quiet, humble villain and boxing was slumping in popularity. I don’t doubt Liston had to go in there and make it look good when he tanked. I’m certain not only the mob, but networks and promoters were all too happy to see Liston dethroned, and had every motive to see to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        That stuff I can believe, but I still don't buy into astronauts not landing on the moon or any kind of BS 9/11 conspiracy, because just like the ones mentioned above, those secrets would have also eventually been found out by now.
        Yeah its tough to determine such things... I have a similar mindset regarding your last statement Anthony. To me, human nature is such that conspiracies are a lot harder than people imagine, because people talk.

I don't know for sure on either of these events... I have my suspicions. I basically think we are not told enough about space travel to know much of anything. NASA is also subject to scientific political biases. Like how would we know what the chances are that advanced life existed/exists on Mars? The truth is we could not know, yet are told it is silly to think about the possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          There was no money with Liston as champion. He was a quiet, humble villain and boxing was slumping in popularity. I don’t doubt Liston had to go in there and make it look good when he tanked. I’m certain not only the mob, but networks and promoters were all too happy to see Liston dethroned, and had every motive to see to it.
          Yeah, and you've proved Uncle Angelo had his connections.

I just don't see the smoke. I'd be interested to trace the allegation's origin. It sounds more like someone making excuses for Sonny than something that actually happened. Not saying it didn't, I just have trouble with that narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

I don't know for sure on either of these events... I have my suspicions. I basically think we are not told enough about space travel to know much of anything. NASA is also subject to scientific political biases. Like how would we know what the chances are that advanced life existed/exists on Mars? The truth is we could not know, yet are told it is silly to think about the possibility.
            - -All the space travel U need to know is found in U navel travails.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -All the space travel U need to know is found in U navel travails.
              Dementia is a real issue for you. Stop hitting the sauce, it does not help you know! And one of these days? try to string together a coherent sentence, just for s h i t s and giggles ya know?

Comment

• Their is no doubt or a very low level of doubt that life besides ourselves exists in the universe. The idea that another civilization could find us in the vastness of space is another story. Highly unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  Their is no doubt or a very low level of doubt that life besides ourselves exists in the universe. The idea that another civilization could find us in the vastness of space is another story. Highly unlikely.
                  - -But if they did, we'd be toast.

Yet we have unceasing scientific morons sending out eternal signals announcing our free pizza and salad bar and drinks on the house whereabouts!

Comment

• Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                    Their is no doubt or a very low level of doubt that life besides ourselves exists in the universe. The idea that another civilization could find us in the vastness of space is another story. Highly unlikely.
                    Glad to hear you say that... Its truly an interesting and complicated problem: It was famously put by one of the original scientists working with Jack Parlance, at Caltech one day. He said "If they are all out there, why don't we have any radio waves? No evidence of them? On the surface it is a decent point. We have been searching for radio waves and through the spectrum for ages now...

My thinking is that if we look at when UFO activity really picked up it was after the Atomic Bomb. This tells me that whoever "they are" they may well not want us to know about them. Probably had to make more appearances when we started playing with the atom. the vastness of space is not so vast when considering that we have waves travelling constantly, we really should be able to pick something up unless it is being masked.

On the other hand there are structures in space that may act as a shield... Waves can certainly be distorted...

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                      - -But if they did, we'd be toast.

Yet we have unceasing scientific morons sending out eternal signals announcing our free pizza and salad bar and drinks on the house whereabouts!
                      Thats an assumption. If they find you as first contact they will think the whole planet is autistic.

Comment

Working...
                      X