No announcement yet.

Footwork help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork help!

So im a beginner and just started boxing, today in the gym we learned about the hook and 1,2 punches with ducking. The one thing that is confusing for me is the footwork, what to do with the rest of the body ( how to move it ) Im really passionet about boxing. So the thing i wanna know how do i do my footwork? exempel when i do a power punches punches with my left hand and my dominant hand,jab,hook.slip. And how i turn when a someone jab, like i turn all my body but my left foot is still in the same place just turning it to the left/right. Hope u guys understand, my english is not the best. If somone could explain this in detail or post and video etc, would really love that thanks. My goal is to fight like mike tyson, use the peek a boo style

Originally posted by blastyblasty View Post
    So im a beginner and just started boxing, today in the gym we learned about the hook and 1,2 punches with ducking. The one thing that is confusing for me is the footwork, what to do with the rest of the body ( how to move it ) Im really passionet about boxing. So the thing i wanna know how do i do my footwork? exempel when i do a power punches punches with my left hand and my dominant hand,jab,hook.slip. And how i turn when a someone jab, like i turn all my body but my left foot is still in the same place just turning it to the left/right. Hope u guys understand, my english is not the best. If somone could explain this in detail or post and video etc, would really love that thanks. My goal is to fight like mike tyson, use the peek a boo style
    Take up ballroom dancing...that should help.

Comment

Here you go i just deleted my YouTube channel but i will make this unlisted
      these might help... use your feet don't fight like Tyson is my only advice.
      Hope this helps

Footwork Drills For Boxing
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM92v1bdskY

Boxing Footwork Drills | Pivot | Floyd Mayweather Does It!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRZN3uZhno

Boxing/MMA Footwork (Move like Holly Holm NOT Ronda Rousey)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5fs1mG_Jo

Footwork Drills for Boxing and MMA
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-wvM5hZQRE

Comment

Keep your footwork simple at first. It's important you remain in a balanced stance. The more balance stance you have the better you will be at taking shots and giving them. The reason people jump rope is mostly for body coordination purposes, so get on that rope! There are other things one can do to coordinate their body to act as one unit.. But the rope is a safe bet to help with that.

It's good to start at the beginning. Pay attention to the drills you are shown. For instance a 1,2 slip pivot.. Take it in steps.. First get your footing right for the one two. In balance move forward.. Transfer your weight balanced but time it so that the weight transfers at about the same time the right lands..

That's the first step. Then bend your knees for the slip....do not duck.. Keep it a game of inches.. If you duck too much you expose the back of your head.

For the pivot..during the slip transfer all your weight to your left leg but remain balanced..then use your hips and step out with your back foot as you torque your hip left... This makes your back leg rotate counterclockwise on a clock. You should be positioned 90 degrees or so from where u were to begin with.

This is an ideal position to fire your left hook to land straight on like a right hand!

Build off of a solid foundation. Its a lot of different situations that require a lot of different footwork. You have to practice intuitiveness in there to be successful. Other than that I can't really say much else.. I'd have to be there to show you.

Footwork ain't just about the feet you will find. It's full body coordination.. So get on that rope!

Comment

Working...
        X