Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robinson Or Ali Who Shall Be Remebered As The Greater Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bert sugar said that Sugar ray robinson was the only man that could score a knockout with his left hand going backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
      bert sugar said that Sugar ray robinson was the only man that could score a knockout with his left hand going backwards.
      ali knocked out bonavena going backwards.....**** even edwin valero knocked his last guy out going backwards....bert sugar is just a clown

robinson at welterweight is p4p #1

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
        ali knocked out bonavena going backwards.....**** even edwin valero knocked his last guy out going backwards....bert sugar is just a clown

robinson at welterweight is p4p #1
        Bert Sugar doesn't let facts get in the way of a good story. He is a good storyteller and an entertaining character for sure but I must question his status as a legit historian. He keeps repeating things that have been proven wrong over and over.

As George Foreman puts it, Ali was the greatest man to ever box. But he wasn't the greatest boxer in my opinion.

Comment

Did SRR really have over 200 pro fights that he won,doesnt that speak for itself,if u think about that could Ali or any other notable fighter come close to that??

Comment

Originally posted by cruzan mario View Post
            did srr really have over 200 pro fights that he won,doesnt that speak for itself,if u think about that could ali or any other notable fighter come close to that??
            173-19-6 (108)

Comment

yes harry greb.

Anyway, this is a tough call for me. I was going to say robinson simply because of that lead left hook, but ali's footwork against liston was pretty special as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Bert Sugar doesn't let facts get in the way of a good story. He is a good storyteller and an entertaining character for sure but I must question his status as a legit historian. He keeps repeating things that have been proven wrong over and over.

As George Foreman puts it, Ali was the greatest man to ever box. But he wasn't the greatest boxer in my opinion.
                Foreman also said Ali wasn't the greatest heavyweight, but he was the bravest. Which is a fair assessment.

As to the question, Ali has more crossover appeal than Robinson. Even now he and Tyson are probably the two best-known boxers on the planet, so among the general public I imagine his standing will always be higher. But boxing historians will always see Robinson as the greater of the two (and he was). That's no slur on Ali, who was also great, but I doubt even he would complain about coming second to Robby.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzan mario View Post
                  Did SRR really have over 200 pro fights that he won,doesnt that speak for itself,if u think about that could Ali or any other notable fighter come close to that??
                  the numbers game is dumb as ****, willie pep and harry greb had way more wins.....plus those late wins also came with a bunch of losses in his comeback...

Comment

Ali is only known as the greatest boxer by the majority of the world because he told them he was. He sweet talked his way to being the "best fighter ever" Not that im not saying hes not a top 5 atg but he doesnt come close to srr in pfp terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Home town hero View Post
                      Ali is only known as the greatest boxer by the majority of the world because he told them he was. He sweet talked his way to being the "best fighter ever" Not that im not saying hes not a top 5 atg but he doesnt come close to srr in pfp terms.
                      Yes, it's not because he beat 5 top 15 ATG Heavyweights, and a ****load of other great fighters, or winning the title back twice after being robbed 3 years of his prime, or because he gave us many ATG fights etc.

Maybe if Mayweather kept telling everybody that he's the greatest everybody would believe him too, innit?

Oh wait...he already does that..

and oh wait...nobody actually believes him.

You know why right mate?

Comment

Working...
                      X