Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was more overhype-Ortiz, Brook or Matthysse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was more overhype-Ortiz, Brook or Matthysse?

Who was the more hype job out of the three ?

Victor Ortiz was a golden boy hype job that put on fan friendly fights but ugly quit or got knocked out.

Brook biggest win was porter but is better known for chasing Khan for a payday that never happen and being a punching bag for GGG and Spence.

And Matthysse lost to a old Judah, but Knocked out Peterson who beat khan so you can say he was the best fighter at 140 at the time but it was at an catchweight so never won a title belt. Let’s be honest his highlight is a 2nd tier WBA belt.

So who was the bigger hype job?

For me it goes in this order. Matthysse, Brook then Ortiz .

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post

Victor Ortiz was a golden boy hype job that put on fan friendly fights but ugly quit or got knocked out.

Brook biggest win was porter but is better known for chasing Khan for a payday that never happen and being a punching bag for GGG and Spence.

And Matthysse lost to a old Judah, but Knocked out Peterson who beat khan so you can say he was the best fighter at 140 at the time but it was at an catchweight so never won a title belt. Let’s be honest his highlight is a 2nd tier WBA belt.

Why you gotta call em hype jobs, man? All 3 were respectable fighters who gave us some real fun fights.

There was a lotta fan buzz around Lucas but I dont think he got close to the same push Vic did promotionally despite probably being a better fighter. Similarly Brook was never hugely marketed despite being highly regarded by fans after the the Porter win.. besides I think Kells generally regarded as a top talent that was wasted or squandered rather than a dude who just wasn't anywhere near as good as sold.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 04-25-2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
        Why you gotta call em hype jobs, man? All 3 were respectable fighters who gave us some real fun fights.

There was a lotta fan buzz around Lucas but promotional I dont think he got close to the same push Vic did promotionally despite probably being a better fighter. Similarly Brook was never hugely marketed despite being highly regarded by fans after the the Porter win.. besides I think Kells generally regarded as a top talent that was wasted or squandered rather than a dude who just wasn't anywhere near as good as sold.
        I agree! All three were dang good for a few years. Brook was a BEAST from like 2012-2015 or somewhere around those years. He stepped up to ggg and then dropped way down to fight Spence. Bad advice from his team IMO

Comment

Matthysse was good but the hype he had in 2012-2013 was insane.

Comment

None all became world champion

Comment

Wilder. Real competition = fought 2 lost 2. Don't get much hypier jobbier than that.

Comment

Matthyse, Ortiz, Brook

Matthyse was ridiculously overrated for a while, another "unbeatable" puncher to collapse into being trash once he got hammered

Ortiz was mega hyped but not for that long really as he was exposed early

Brook, I don't know that he was "that" highly rated tbh, like not to the level of the other two, and he's the best of the three

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                  Wilder. Real competition = fought 2 lost 2. Don't get much hypier jobbier than that.
                  I agree wilder was the most overhyped fighter of the decade

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                    None all became world champion
                    Regular belt holder if you are counting their WBA belt. You got issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X