Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was down with Winky Wright (160lbs) vs Floyd Mayweather (140lbs)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    holy f#cking god you cannot be serious
    In what way do you think I'm not serious?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
      Going off memory here, but I thought Arum said they had never actually agreed to terms, as far as money goes. Winky's team claimed they did and then the deal got changed. Either way, Winky should of took the fight because we are going to disagree on who would of won. I think Winky would of handled Floyd rather easily even with the rehydration clause. Too big, strong and good for Floyd's skills to overcome imo.
      He wouldn't be big or strong if he was only allowed to weigh 162 lbs or less in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
        people have no problem if fighters they dont like go up in weight, if they dont, they are cowards. But if anyone else goes up in weight to fight them, then its an instant mismatch, freak show fight. People wanted mayweather to go up for the same reason they want GGG to go up, because the higher they go from their natural weight, the higher the chance that they will lose. And if they do lose, it wont be due to size, it will be due to them being 'exposed' as a hypejob
        Mayweather moved up 4 TIMES!!! Triple G moved up...a whopping ZERO TIMES!!! I think floyd proved himself as the real deal and not a hype job...lil'g??? Not so much...smh...

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          In what way do you think I'm not serious?

floyd mayweather is not stopping winky wright, a big 154 lber who had a heck of a chin and beat punchers all the way to middleweight, when he can't stop marquez, berto, ortiz, canelo looking like a zombie, etc.

floyd mayweather stops a guy who went 12 with trinidad, vargas on no planet i've ever been to. i'd love to hear about why you think he would. floyd's performances where he looked to have the potency to hurt a durable 154 lber with as proven a chin as just about anybody who has fought at the weight, wright's performances where you think he showed the kind of vulnerability that makes you think floyd [a guy who coudln'st stop marquez,] wouldstop him, etc.

Comment

floyd mayweather is not stopping winky wright, a big 154 lber who had a heck of a chin and beat punchers all the way to middleweight, when he can't stop marquez, berto, ortiz, canelo looking like a zombie, etc.

floyd mayweather stops a guy who went 12 with trinidad, vargas on no planet i've ever been to. i'd love to hear about why you think he would. floyd's performances where he looked to have the potency to hurt a durable 154 lber with as proven a chin as just about anybody who has fought at the weight, wright's performances where you think he showed the kind of vulnerability that makes you think floyd [a guy who coudln'st stop marquez,] wouldstop him, etc.
            Because in none of the scenarios that you just eloquently put together does Winky Wright have a rehydration clause of 162 lbs.

Winky would be completely dead at 162 and a 2005 version of Mayweather vs a death bed version of Winky likely doesn't go 12.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleGFightFan View Post
              Mayweather moved up 4 TIMES!!! Triple G moved up...a whopping ZERO TIMES!!! I think floyd proved himself as the real deal and not a hype job...lil'g??? Not so much...smh...
              it wasnt an insult on mayweather ffs, i like both mayweather and golovkin. Dont think you read my post properly

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Because in none of the scenarios that you just eloquently put together does Winky Wright have a rehydration clause of 162 lbs.

Winky would be completely dead at 162 and a 2005 version of Mayweather vs a death bed version of Winky likely doesn't go 12.

deathbed canelo went 12 with floyd without even wobbling! what makes you think a guy with a much more proven chin can't do that?

that you seem to think floyd mayweather stops winky wright at any weight is just plain nuts. if enough people on here were watching boxing in 2005 when winky was a top flight boxer you'd be getting called out more consistently

you're talking about a much, much bigger guy with a bonafide great chin getting stopped by floyd mayweather, who couldn't put a dent in the chin of a canelo who was so drained he sat on a chair after he weighed in.

Comment

Neither Fighter had anything to do with negotiations breaking down it was 100% Bob Arum and Gary Shaw
                  "I walked in, I told him: "I believe we have a deal,' " Shaw said. "And Bob said, "so it's a deal - 55-45 (money split)'.

"I said, "Bob, that was never, ever discussed, no deal' and that was that."

The day before, Shaw said he and Arum had agreed to a 50-50 purse split as well as other requests from Mayweather's camp. He added that Wright adviser Jim Wilkes and Don King, who has an option on Wright's next fight, agreed as well.

According to Shaw, however, Arum said he did not remember that conversation. Arum was unavailable for comment.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/22/Sp...ther_bou.shtml

Actually it wasn't a fight by Popular Demand or anything like that it was just a curious match up as far as skills go but NO fans wasn't calling for this match up and neither was the boxing media

Same with Vernon Forrest, I don't think that fight was ever a thought for people at the time it wasn't until years after in which people used the late Vernon Forrest (RIP) to I guess try and discredit Mayweather I guess?

Comment

Winky wright was a straight up G @ 154. Technically sounds, always came to fight and had a unique style of counter pressure behind an atg jab.

De La Hoya wanted none of it. Mayweather wanted none of it Pacquiao doesn't want none of it. @ 154 in his prime boxes the breaks of all those fighters at 154. dude was a beast, and was always in a good fight.

Comment

deathbed canelo went 12 with floyd without even wobbling! what makes you think a guy with a much more proven chin can't do that?

that you seem to think floyd mayweather stops winky wright at any weight is just plain nuts. if enough people on here were watching boxing in 2005 when winky was a top flight boxer you'd be getting called out more consistently

you're talking about a much, much bigger guy with a bonafide great chin getting stopped by floyd mayweather, who couldn't put a dent in the chin of a canelo who was so drained he sat on a chair after he weighed in.
                      Right ok, your first point is silly because you can't compare Canelo weighing in a Lb less than his previous weigh in and having no rehydration clause to Winky Wright having to cut back down to 154 from 160 and then only being allowed to rehydrate 8 lbs after the weigh in. It's two completely different scenarios. Canelo struggled to make 152 and rehydrated to a comfortable weight. Winky Wright might actually die if he had to weigh in 162 lbs on the same day of the fight.

Secondly, you're comparing a 2005 Mayweather to a 2013 Mayweather which I shouldn't even have to explain why that's stupid.

Winky Wright at 162 lbs in the ring would be severely drained and unhealthy. You can choose to ignore that but when a fighter is that badly drained there's every chance they will get stopped. History shows that.

Yes and if more people watched boxing in 2005 they would know about the rehydration clause that was agreed to and use logic as to why that outcome it at the very least a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X