Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should a novice Boxer train?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should a novice Boxer train?

I plan on doing Judo aswell.

I work shift work, so getting too every class won't always be possible, but it seems like I should be able to get there atleast once a week for now, if not two.

That aside, it'll only be for about 8 months until I go back to shool, so that won't be a big an issue anymore. Should I be going atleast twice a week and include shadow boxing(besides hitting mits and sparring, this is my favorite part of Boxing), jump rope and roadwork on my off days? I want to get as good as I possibly can, because I love the sport, but I don't want to over do it and find myself in the same situation I was when I first started.
    Last edited by VicariousVice; 10-01-2017, 10:30 PM.

I would try to get 3 to 4 days myself.

Monday, Wed, Friday

or

Monday, Tues, Thurs, Friday

Comment

I try to get to the club twice a week to work on technique and form. Try to squeeze twice a week for strength and cardio either at home or the gym.

Comment

Shadowboxing isn't too taxing on your body so you can do that as as many days as you like essentially. Jump rope should just be a warm up exercise. Doesn't really help with anything boxing related aside from getting you used to being on the balls of your feet.

Heavy bag work is stressing on the shoulders so I don't recommend anything more than 3x per week on the bag. Sparring should be 2x per week if you're a novice. No more no less. Each sparring session you will notice you are getting better for a while.

Roadwork should be 3x per week, keep the mileage at 3 miles per session max. Focus on speed. Sprints should be worked 2x per week.

Take weekends off.

Comment

Twice a week is not enough, you will merely be maintaining cardio levels, if you want to get fitter, fight longer, harder, be stronger, at least 3 sessions of boxing a week ontop of your cardio/roadwork

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
            Twice a week is not enough, you will merely be maintaining cardio levels, if you want to get fitter, fight longer, harder, be stronger, at least 3 sessions of boxing a week ontop of your cardio/roadwork
            Not possible.

Gym I go too only offers 2 Boxing classes a week and I don't just Box.

I also work a fair bit, shift work at that...

There are Sunday sparring days though, so, maybe I can make those.
            Last edited by VicariousVice; 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

if you not sparring you not learning

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                if you not sparring you not learning
                I have to agree with my brother Rudy here.

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousVice View Post
                  Not possible.

Gym I go too only offers 2 Boxing classes a week and I don't just Box.

I also work a fair bit, shift work at that...

There are Sunday sparring days though, so, maybe I can make those.
                  Spar session will be seen as a third session in week so you are starting to build your cardio up. This spar session is more important than the other class. So if you can only do 2 drop me of the 'boxing classes'

Comment

It's great and I feel very happy

Comment

Working...
                    X