Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does an elite pro boxer's routine look like?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does an elite pro boxer's routine look like?

What does a pro boxer's routine look like as he is training in camp for an upcoming fight? What time does he go to sleep, what time does he wake up, what does he do as soon as he wakes up, for how long etc etc.

Please be as detailed as possible. If you have a routine please share to compare with other routines. The why and how of what you do if you can. I'd like to see what are the ins and outs of training programs that mold someone at that level into being boxing fit.

Sometimes they touch up on some aspect of a boxers routine on 24/7(HBO) but never to the point where you can deconstruct exactly what their training regiment looks like.

Please be as detailed as possible.

Don't bother unless you're a pro. I trained like a pro and I'm paying the price for it now. Over-training and not resting enough creates big problems on your body when you get older. If I could go back and change it, I would.

Also, pro's train different than amateurs because of the rounds and when you NEED to come on strong. If you spar at the beginning of your workout, that's more for an AM's style. You want to come out of the gate strong and fight the entire fight which is like 3-4 rounds, but definitely come out strong. Pro's will spar after their workout so they come on strong late in a fight. See what I'm saying?

Mostly, they isolate routines. Hoya used to train 4 hours in 2/2 hour routines. I used to copy that and it's not easy even for an advanced athlete. My last trainer who was a pro and former champ took me to that next level. I only competed in the Am's, but I was already training on a pro level and his routines he gave me was what he did for championship fights. 700 sit ups in a sitting type stuff. Lots of drills.

If I was you I wouldn't do more than 2 hours/day. More doesn't always mean better.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I gather from what you're saying that the intensity is too high for an "average joe's" needs. Further being that, if one where to take up such a routine, the probability of sustaining long term injuries is very high.

I fully understand what you're saying and I fully agree. I would just like to see exactly what their routine looks like and see exactly what exercise method they use to gather such and so purported benefit. I'd really like to see why and what they use to see what insights i an able to gather from that.

I know that one trainer may believe that a certain exercise is worthless while another may uphold such specific exercise to a holy grail status when seeking to attain some specific benefit.

I'd like to see what the different schools of thought are in relation to different routines pro boxers use. And by "Pro" i mean somebody that is 100% serious about their sport including amateurs that are competing at the higher levels. Not someone just hitting the bag hanging from their garage 2 days out of the week as part of their bodybuilding or such.

Thanks for your reply. Very informative.

Comment

There was some book that got released awhile back that had a lot of boxers workouts in it.

Not sure how legit it was or detailed, but that might be a place worth looking for some more specific routines & specifics of high level pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          There was some book that got released awhile back that had a lot of boxers workouts in it.

Not sure how legit it was or detailed, but that might be a place worth looking for some more specific routines & specifics of high level pros.
          Mayweathers workouts are sick. Very hard to keep up with those

Comment

I've watched James Toney saying that he trains 15 days on and 1 day off. Either he is using some steroids for muscle recovery/repair or excluding fitness stuff which would break down his body day by day without time to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
              I've watched James Toney saying that he trains 15 days on and 1 day off. Either he is using some steroids for muscle recovery/repair or excluding fitness stuff which would break down his body day by day without time to recover.
              He did test positive for juice at least twice, and Roach has said that he thought Toney was on steroids.

Comment

Working...
              X