Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be an example of what people like Ray are talking about?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be an example of what people like Ray are talking about?

I have two fight links. One is an up and comer Mike Seals. this guy has a beautiful physique, is trying to box and use tecnique, even saying he is emulating among others James Toney. I always like to see guys who are trying to learn to box and as my fellow posters know, I think proper tecnique is universal.

Here are the links to a recent Seals fight and Toney fighting Jirov: First Toney versus Jirov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOqWPoR76mI

Then Seals versus Lockett just last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2ImThd6Rk

Seals has been brought along to a point where he wants to challenge the big boys...The problems I see with him are symptomatic of what I see in guys coming up these days, lets look at a few of his characteristics:

a) Seals does use his feet and good circular movement, however.....

1) Watch when Toney is set and watch Seals, Seals head is off kilter, instead of using the right angle distance and front shoulder to protect the head he puts a twenty pound weight on his shoulders! thats what happens when you tilt your head down, it affects yur balance, and ability to move properly.

2) Seals does not understand how to keep weight properly placed, where as Toney's weight is either fifty fifty or about 30 front 70 back, seals is squared up at all times. this not only prevents him from being able to counter, it makes him a big target for any hooking punch when he is set.

3) because Seals does not have his weight centerd properly it takes all the power out of his punches. Where as Toney can shift weight foward or even step foward to power his punches Seals is already foward, hittable, off balance....the effect on his punches is that his body weight, already fowards does not add to impact on his punches.

4) Seals has the potential for a decent jab but his elbows are too wide, he does not have any weight transfer (see above), and he does not snap his jab.

5) Where as Toney controls distance, seals tries to set distance, establish distance when his feet are locked foward. this makes his always squared up, hittable and before he can establish control he is reacting to punches he should be able to avoid with proper distance.

6) Toney like the old timers uses a false centerline. His head rests in such a way that the target he presents to the opponent is a space between his front shoulder and head.....This has been referred to as a false center by some. Meanwhile Seals head is right inn front of his opponent resting fowards, hittable by virtually all his opponents weapons.

I don't think Seals would last long in the old days....any fighter coached properly would exploite these errors fast because it is relatively easy to do so...Where as if one feints or throws at Toney's set position....Toney has plenty of time to set up a counter...if for no other reason than his weight is off his front.... Seals has to move out of position, and cannot counter with punches thrown with bodyweight, is not set up to counter, and has no body weight behind his punches.

These are just a few things that are evident after watching the fight for a round.

Lets not even start on the punches!!
    Last edited by billeau2; 01-10-2015, 06:43 AM.

I believe the squared up stance is in general inferior to the classic chin tuck behind the left shoulder. Aside from tactical reasons, there are results to consider. When I see fighters squared up, I associate it with a lack of schooling, which they will probably receive shortly. A simple, unnoticed fact about Hopkins was that his stance was responsible for many of the puzzling problems he presented to less educated opponents. In times of trouble, he would not break form like other fighters, but stayed protected in the classic stance. Virtually every all time P4P list is composed of boxers who fought from a classic, Gibbons-inspired stance. That should say something. The occasional exception is granted to full-steam-ahead swarmers and the rare peekaboo artist.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      I believe the squared up stance is in general inferior to the classic chin tuck behind the left shoulder. Aside from tactical reasons, there are results to consider. When I see fighters squared up, I associate it with a lack of schooling, which they will probably receive shortly. A simple, unnoticed fact about Hopkins was that his stance was responsible for many of the puzzling problems he presented to less educated opponents. In times of trouble, he would not break form like other fighters, but stayed protected in the classic stance. Virtually every all time P4P list is composed of boxers who fought from a classic, Gibbons-inspired stance. That should say something. The occasional exception is granted to full-steam-ahead swarmers and the rare peekaboo artist.
      I agree. For many reasons some of which are discussed above

Comment

Working...
      X