No announcement yet.

The Loma effect turns elite fighters into cans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    After he demolished Donaire he entered top 10 pound for pound lists. I saw them. In fact I'm 99% sure that boxing scene had him just inside the top 10 after that win.
    He did?

I'm almost positive he wasn't.

Regardless he definitely wasn't when he fought Lomachenko.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
      Russell jr - most posters ask who’s he like he don’t have the fastest hands in the sport

Walters - he was undefeated around the #8-10 ranked p4p fighter in the sport before he fought Loma and most posters thought he would school Loma but now he doesn’t even wanna fight no more.

Rigo - he’s been on most people’s p4p list since 2013 but now they’re calling him ringo and can’t remember his name and the fact they picked him once again to school Loma.

Linares - he’s a huge step up in weight and one of the best stragetical boxers in the sport who Mikey has ducked for years, but now he’s reduced to a mediocre champ.

The cycle never ends when Mikey is beat he will be known as the guy who never fought a elite and they will want Loma at welter to fight Crawford when the guys body size can’t go much further than 140. The hate will never end just embrace the greatness It’s floyd, Pac, and ggg all over again.
      These were very good wins for a guy with less than 11 fights but these were not elite fighters, Gary Russell was largely unproven and he's never beaten anyone of note when he fought Lomachenko, Walters was a better win due to his dominance and despite his inactivity, it should count as a great win for Lomachenko but Walters wasn't elite and wasn't a P4P fighter at the time he fought Loma. Rigo was old, small and very inactive, that was a pointless fight and I don't think Loma himself gave himself so much props for that.

Linares was a great win and imo is his best win to date, Linares is the closest to elite when he fought Lomachenko out of all the names you mentioned, I wouldn't necessarily call him elite since he never beat and elite or P4P ranked fighter before and he lost to B level fighters before. Mikey Garcia would be the first real elite champ Lomachenko faces so let's see what happens then.

Comment

It's always the same. And it's crazy because detractors can always come up with reasons a fighter isn't/wasn't elite. What the hell is elite? The toting line is Mayweather never fought an elite prime fighter. Yet he beat an undefeated corralles who was in the p4p rankings and fought and beat Castillo who was #1 at 135 I believe. It was also his first fight there. Very similar to Loma. But again lomas wins will end up with folks saying they were fringe at best and others saying they were the cream of the crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
          if those 4 guys are elite, then who isnt ???
          Well duh, tba of course.

Comment

The Loma effect turns elite fighters into cans.
            Before the fight, the fanboys predicted all of them to decapitate Loma, but then they all became shot, crippled, old men overnight...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Rigondeaux was a #1 pound for pound contender for a short period. Even entering the Lomachenko fight he was still considered by some to by a top 5 pound for pounder. After Walters steamrolled Donaire he entered top 10 pound for pound lists. Linares was considered a fringe top 10 pound for pounder going into the Loma fight and was unquestionably a top 20 in the world level of fighter. GRJ was never a top 10 but he was one of the premiere blue chip prospects in the sport when he fought Lomachenko.

Nobody's saying that these guys are all-time historic greats but they're all elite, blue chip guys.
              much respeck

i tend to not use elite that often, doe.

Comment

Russell jr - most posters ask who’s he like he don’t have the fastest hands in the sport

Walters - he was undefeated around the #8-10 ranked p4p fighter in the sport before he fought Loma and most posters thought he would school Loma but now he doesn’t even wanna fight no more.

Rigo - he’s been on most people’s p4p list since 2013 but now they’re calling him ringo and can’t remember his name and the fact they picked him once again to school Loma.

Linares - he’s a huge step up in weight and one of the best stragetical boxers in the sport who Mikey has ducked for years, but now he’s reduced to a mediocre champ.

The cycle never ends when Mikey is beat he will be known as the guy who never fought a elite and they will want Loma at welter to fight Crawford when the guys body size can’t go much further than 140. The hate will never end just embrace the greatness It’s floyd, Pac, and ggg all over again.
                Gary Russel Jr. elite!?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  My claim of "greatness" is based upon being among the best of their day. Floyd was among the best of his day. Loma is among the best of his day.

You are on some weirdo ranking bs that makes so sense logically & is based upon you, & those taken upon this task of ATG rankings bs, having some sort of opinion on fighters you've never seen at all or seen a couple fights of.

I mean think about this reallllllly. Lets say you've only seen 2 fights of some guy from the 1940's. How can you really judge that guy in context to his time let alone the greater time period of all of the modern era of boxing? Think about it. If you only saw two Floyd fights how would that impact your take on his skills? What if its the Diego Corrales fight & the Genaro Hernadez fight? Or what if its the Jose Luis Castillo & Marcos Maidana fights that many thought were close or he lost? Thats the blindspot you are working under with this atg stuff & your likely knowledge on it.

And as to the question, okay so wait no one is a great fighter til they are retired? Are you suggesting to me if someone was to search your past posts here you'd have never mentioned Floyd or anyone else as a great fighter while they were active?
                  here we go.............

1) we consider those who held a title to be great/elite ?!?!? that would be these fringe fncks are momentarily elite/ briefly great ?!?!?! that one truly epic win always = more than a singular win ?!?!?!? probably, according to boxing lifers such as yourself. i dont.

2) sports experts, not only me, have created lists. that includes names. with numbers next to them. i didnt invent the shlt, bruh. if you find lists with names and numbers to be silly, thats your right. if you want them abolished, have fun. until then............

3) i wont say ive only watched 2 fights. sry about that.

4) a person can be actively great and actively elite. its very rare (in my lifetime - ali, may, hagler, lennox, rjj....). string me up for not finding grj, linares, walter and rigo to be elite. loma is great and in the cusp of elitehood. that just me and i dont insist on anyone agreeing with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                    Gary Russel Jr. elite!?
                    anyone with a solid win is elite.

this watering down shlt, selfie taking era.....shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
                      Well duh, tba of course.
                      tbe is ''aight''

Comment

Working...
                      X