No announcement yet.

A new truly 'divisional' ranking system

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new truly 'divisional' ranking system

I started a numerical ranking system a while ago... and now finally have the results to unveil how it works!

The three fundamental principles of the system are:

1) Only fights at the weight division can contribute to a ranking in that division. Weight divisions exist because size matters and, moreover, each weight division is a different competitive field, so allowing fights at other weights to contribute to a divisional ranking isn't fair to fighters proven at the weight.

2) Level of opposition is paramount. You must beat (or draw with) a ranked fighter to get in the rankings. It's unacceptable to hand a fighter a high ranking without beating a ranked fighter. Unique to my system, a loss to a ranked fighter doesn't move a fighter down the rankings: a fighter shouldn't be able to sit on a ranking by taking on lower opposition, so losses to top opposition aren't punished.

3) Only results in the last three years are included. Three years is a fair period because boxers are generally at their current level for about that time. Older fighters shouldn't be given credit for their prime years, while unproven younger fighters shouldn't be overcredited for their most recent fight or two.

Ultimately this is trying to show that boxing rankings, just like rankings or standings in all other sports, should only reflect actual accomplishments. Ability, potential, or impressiveness of performances is far too subjective, so allowing that they should be reflected even somewhat in rankings will never allow consensus rankings to be established. That members of the TBRB publish opposing rankings based largely on differing opinion of ability shows how pointless and ineffective this method becomes.

The 'subjectivity' of Boxrec's ranking system is also the clue to the failure of their system. The statistical details they include are problematic because they're included in an attempt to thoroughly 'evaluate' the quality of wins. They give less credit for split decision wins, but don't seem to get that three judges are only used to arrive at a single decision. They give more credit for knockouts, but boxing isn't about knockouts. They adjust ranking based on past or future results of opponents, but it's pretty obvious a fighter should only be credited in rankings based on the level of an opponent when he fought him. I could go on, their system was made by stats nerds who miss the forest for the trees.

The only indisputably objective facts are: 1) the date, 2) the weights, and 3) whose hand was raised, and those are the simple, neutral criteria used for this system. Please check out the detailed rules, and the welterweight rankings here...

http://worldboxingrankings.proboards.com/

The one aspect of this system I suspect will be controversial is that the winner doesn't necessarily move above the ranked fighter he beat. Manipulating the system so the winner is always higher ends up devaluing the three year period and proven success over more than one fight, which should matter more--as one fight can be just a matter of styles, or a bit of a fluke. As it turns out, an unranked fighter beating a fighter ranked but below top 10 usually puts him higher, but an unranked fighter beating a top-10 opponent usually doesn't move above him.
    Last edited by yaltamaltadavid; 05-11-2014, 03:00 AM.

I know you kids just want the results, so here's how the ww rankings read after last weekend's fights. Now go ahead and tell me the whole thing's **** because Porter's below Alexander...

Champion:
    Manny Pacquiao: 117

1. Floyd Mayweather: 207
    2. Timothy Bradley: 199
    3. Kell Brook: 144
    5. Juan Manuel Marquez: 123
    5. Keith Thurman: 123
    6. Robert Guerrero: 115
    7. Marcos Maidana: 98
    8. Jesus Soto Karass: 90
    9. Andre Berto: 84
    10. Josesito Lopez: 75

11. Luis Collazo: 72
    12. Devon Alexander: 66
    13. Amir Khan: 63
    14. Shawn Porter: 60
    15. Carson Jones: 59
    16. Jessie Vargas: 48
    17. Bethuel Ushona: 45
    18. Leonard Bundu: 42
    19. Jan Zaveck: 26
    20. Victor Ortiz: 24
    21. Rick Godding: 21
    22. Rafal Jackiewicz: 17

Comment

Originally posted by yaltamaltadavid View Post
      I know you kids just want the results, so here's how the ww rankings read after last weekend's fights. Now go ahead and tell me the whole thing's **** because Porter's below Alexander...

Champion:
      Manny Pacquiao: 117

1. Floyd Mayweather: 207
      2. Timothy Bradley: 199
      3. Kell Brook: 144
      5. Juan Manuel Marquez: 123
      5. Keith Thurman: 123
      6. Robert Guerrero: 115
      7. Marcos Maidana: 98
      8. Jesus Soto Karass: 90
      9. Andre Berto: 84
      10. Josesito Lopez: 75

11. Luis Collazo: 72
      12. Devon Alexander: 66
      13. Amir Khan: 63
      14. Shawn Porter: 60
      15. Carson Jones: 59
      16. Jessie Vargas: 48
      17. Bethuel Ushona: 45
      18. Leonard Bundu: 42
      19. Jan Zaveck: 26
      20. Victor Ortiz: 24
      21. Rick Godding: 21
      22. Rafal Jackiewicz: 17
      Who are the contenders, actual top oop, Brook beat? If that's what points come up with, you're not making a hell of a case.

Comment

Though Brook doesn't have a top 10 win, he's more established in the division than most others and is the only ranked fighter with three wins against ranked welterweights. Mayweather, Bradley, and Thurman have two each. Brook beat: Lovemore Ndou, who was number 18 at the time from his win over Bongani Mwelase; Rafal Jackiewicz, who was number 11 at the time from his win over Delvin Rodriguez and loss to Jan Zaveck; and Carson Jones, who was number 16 at the time from his win over Said Ouali. With this system the fights that earned a ranking can be clearly pointed to. With opinion-poll rankings positions are no better proven than 'because we think so', and with boxrec dozens of nonsensical variables get in the way of transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by yaltamaltadavid View Post
          Though Brook doesn't have a top 10 win, he's more established in the division than most others and is the only ranked fighter with three wins against ranked welterweights. Mayweather, Bradley, and Thurman have two each. Brook beat: Lovemore Ndou, who was number 18 at the time from his win over Bongani Mwelase; Rafal Jackiewicz, who was number 11 at the time from his win over Delvin Rodriguez and loss to Jan Zaveck; and Carson Jones, who was number 16 at the time from his win over Said Ouali. With this system the fights that earned a ranking can be clearly pointed to. With opinion-poll rankings positions are no better proven than 'because we think so', and with boxrec dozens of nonsensical variables get in the way of transparency.
          Marquez's win over Pac and close loss to TB wildly trump any of that. Keep working on it. I don;t hate the idea of using points, but points can alleviates the need for actual critical thought. Read what you wrote about Brook again and ask, "THAT makes you 4th best in a class as deep as Welter."

It's comical. Brook has done nothing to merit a rating that high at 147. Not even close. Not saying other formats don't have their flaws, but every time you post on this there is a glaring BoxRec-ish piece that jumps out right away.

And I'm someone who regards Brook higher than most,. Like the potential.
          Last edited by crold1; 05-09-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

How does Thurman have as many points as Marquez & more than Pacquaio?
            How is Berto so high up?
            I don't get it based on the scoring criteria you claimed.

Comment

Holy crap those rankings are all over the place.

Comment

Khan over Collazo? This is the problem. Formulas can't watch fights. I see what some of the argument about 'opinion' based ratings might be, but it ignores that those 'opinions' are formed by results. Khan just beat the brakes off Collazo. Brook beat...go back and read that summary. I could see a utility in points supplementing people, but there has to be a reflection of actually seeing what the points are going to.

I've tried different points based 'objective' things before. They always hit this problem. When I did the top 20 All-Time Jr. lists five years ago, I rode it out but even I had to admit some of the results were not credible. It was a fun exercise, but hardly authoritative.
                Last edited by crold1; 05-09-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  How does Thurman have as many points as Marquez & more than Pacquaio?
                  How is Berto so high up?
                  I don't get it based on the scoring criteria you claimed.
                  Thurman got in the rankings with 57 points when he beat Zaveck, who was number 12 at the time. He then got another 66 for beating Soto Karass, who was number 9 at the time. Incidentally, for those decrying the fact that a fighter doesn't necessarily move ahead of a ranked opponent when he beats him, Thurman moved ahead of both guys when he beat them.

Marquez got 90 points when he knocked out Pacquiao. I love Marquez, but that was his first win at welterweight, so shouldn't be enough to deny Pac's massive accomplishments in 2010 and 2011 at 147. With the three-year cycle, Marquez didn't move above Pac till November 2013, when Marquez got 33 points for losing to Bradley, considered champion at the time, and Pac lost his points from three years previous but only fought the unranked Rios so didn't gain any back.

Berto has 84 points from his win over Zaveck, who was number 3 in 2011, when the division wasn't as deep as it became shortly after. Berto's an example of how the system favours established fighters over less proven guys. But he'll lose his points and drop from the rankings if he doesn't fight a ranked welterweight by September.
                  Last edited by yaltamaltadavid; 05-11-2014, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Pretty horrible rankings to be completely honest.

Comment

Working...
                    X