Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's one thing that holds Errol Spence Jr. back from being great.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He refuses to trash talk. He lets his fist do the talking for him. If he talked like Adrien Broner, more people would know him and he'd have a following by the casual fan. People that don't even watch boxing know who Broner is, but these same people have never heard of Crawford or Spence. Everyone doesn't want to be a loud mouth fighter catering to likes of Skip Bayless to have something to talk about about in the morning.

Comment

Spence needs to be busy. Fight at least 4 times a year and step up the comp double notches.

Comment

He will have to get a move on it, he's 28 right now and "just getting started." Momentum of the Brook win was squandered by inactivity. A lot of these PBC guys always feel like they're just getting started again because they don't fight enough.

Comment

I love Errol Spence, he's humble but he's also very articulate and well spoken. He's the anti-Broner of boxing.

Another poster stated his inactivity is hurting him and I agree. Spence wins his fights decisively and doesn't sustaining damage so it would help his marketability to fight more often.
          Last edited by BostonGuy; 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I get that you want Spence to talk more trash, but you reference Porter as an example? Really? That is the guy you want him to be like? Porter is dull himself and just corny. His pops has to come in and save him a lot of times, and it is for a good reason.

Spence will be fine. Put a guy that talks crazy to him, and then he will respond. If he ever fights Thurman, he will go after his neck.

Comment

You guys haven't been paying attention, Spence does talk a ton of trash he just doesn't in a quieter sense.

Comment

Because he's not a douche bag outside the ring, his lack of charisma may make it more difficult to become a PPV attraction even if he becomes a dominant fighter.

Conversely, he has to fight more than twice a year to get the exposure needed to increase his fan base. Keep busy with non-competitive fights until somebody steps up, but win those showcase challenges in devastating fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                  And I already know: half of you won't agree because you think "it's about what they do in the ring".

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody's around to hear it, did it really fall?

Errol Spence is one of the most humble, soft spoken, easy going guys in the business. That hurts his marketability, no matter how you slice it. It hurt Tim Bradley for the same reason; it wasn't until Atlas' "FIREMEN!" speech that people took any sort of notice after the first Pacquiao fight. Beyond that, casuals would be hard pressed to name another fighter Bradley beat, or any significant stat about him.

Spence/Brook was marketed 80% by Kell Brook. The segment he cut about whether Spence could stay composed in front of a bunch of screaming Sheffield fans was classic. It made the outcome we saw that much more significant.

Could you imagine if Spence were as forthright and upfront as Shawn Porter? That's what the guy needs. Porter/Thurman/Garcia/Brook's charm and gift of speech crossed with Spence's skill and #MANDOWN/#StrapSeason promotion. The dude would be all over American news.

Point is more people need to be interested in the sport, and promotion is how you do it. What happens in the ring is how you keep that attention. But it has to start with strong promotion.

Marvin Hagler
                  Evander Holyfield
                  Andre Ward

All time greats who didnt have to change their personalities to be the best in the world.

and shawn porter is the definition of a boring personality. Thats why he always gets treated as the B side. He doesnt have a star bone in his body.

Comment

I understand what you mean but he would get there soon, you just watch. When guys are about to get to that point they start gathering haters, then they would be accused of ducking everyone and their mama. Spence my not have the persona of the Charlo brothers but his fights are speaking for him. I like the chillness of him. He is a fight fan fighter, he looks like he has been smoking marijuana every time I see his lame eye look lol, but he then gets in there and destroy your body, what more can a fan want? Those bigger fights and name would come calling soon and when they do, he would have the chance to put his name up there in marketing terms.

Comment

Originally posted by whirlout View Post
                      Disagree. That brash talking brand of boxing died when Mayweather left the ring. Adrien Broner did it and is doing it, how is it working out for him.
                      Broner's name attached to fights - even with losses - sells. Why? Promotion. Now, people are paying to see him get his ass kicked. But the point is they're paying.

Shannon Briggs was all in the news (aka casuals exposure). Why? Promotion.

It sells. That's my point. Backing it up is what keeps people coming.

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                      I get that you want Spence to talk more trash, but you reference Porter as an example? Really? That is the guy you want him to be like? Porter is dull himself and just corny. His pops has to come in and save him a lot of times, and it is for a good reason.
                      "Everything is tailor made for Shawn Porter...just like that WBC title. Whenever you ready to give it up."

I've never - not even from Floyd - heard such a poignant line thrown during a boxer interaction.

Spence doesn't have to act like a thug, but there's been times he's in the vicinity of these guys and he's smiling and making jokes. No! Tell them to their face that it's #StrapSeason and you're coming for them. Tell them you'll call Al Haymon and book the fight to get them to stop ducking. Tell them SOMETHING.

Like when Charlo was like he knocked out everyone he sparred with, right there next to Spence? Come on, don't let that crap fly. Say something

Comment

Working...
                      X