No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn was involved in the Golden Boy/DAZN deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    What you've done there is take the answers to two different questions and splice them together to make one answer to another question that wasn't even asked!
    Wrong. It was all one answer from Finkel, but he was referencing two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      It is some IFL video not Fighthype. He wasn't clear but made it seem like he was trying to get a deal for Canelo, but said GBP was bringing the rest of the stable with them and if this was Joshua, he wouldn't need anyone else he would just make a deal straight with the platform. Watch the video and tell me if that is what you took away from it as well. That to me alludes to him originally just wanting Canelo and trying to cut some deal, but GBP then would want their own dates for their fighters so they got a separate deal for themselves with DAZN.

Thanks for embedding the video for me.

I think what Hearn's saying there is that he knew when he contacted Gomez about Canelo that he couldn't close a deal with them on his own, because they would obviously want to talk to DAZN themselves.

He also says he knew GBP wouldn't do the deal on Canelo without getting dates for their other fighters too, which would all need to be negotiated with DAZN.

Comment

Correct, what Hearn sat down with and was trying to hammer down is not what Golden Boy ended up doing. They instead of just getting a deal for Canelo wanted a deal for others to so they cut the middle man out and negotiated directly with DAZN. Hence, why it was reported by damn near everyone that Hearn wasn't involved. Make no mistake, Golden Boy was adamant to get this out to the public and that is why everyone reported that.

I do wonder what Hearn was originally planning. To do some co-promotional deal on Canelo fights? To give two of his dates up to GBP for Canelo?
        No.. you're misunderstanding .. Hearn absolutely had involvement in DAZN's end.. they asked him to.

Skipper got involved because he knew Oscar.. just because Oscar dealt with skipper doesn't mean Hearn has been cast aside and userped, matchrooms relationship with DAZN extends long further back than the 1 billion dollar deal

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          I can't see the OP's video because the link is misdirecting me.

Is this what Hearn is talking about:

He's saying that when HBO announced they were leaving boxing, he and John Skipper flew to LA to talk to GBP and close a deal with them to get Canelo on DAZN.

And yes, I do believe he's telling the truth ... because if he wasn't, then surely Skipper and GBP would have said something about it!
          Not sure why you're quoting me. What are you going against with what I'm saying?

I didn't say Eddie wasn't there. I just believe he's got a deal with DAZN that him doing anything he can do to help getting GBP on board is helping himself.

Comment

As for your last part, you are more than a casual fan. I subscribed the day it became available stateside but casuals only care for a few fights/fighters.
            DAZN is actually great for casual fans. Specifically with Canelo being there now. If you were a casual Canelo fan you had to pay $160 a year to see his fights. Now you can just pay $20 a year.

I'd really love to see how the subscribers go up or maybe not so much when Canelo fights. You'd think DAZN basically making Canelo a $10 PPV for fans would bump up DAZN's subscribers by a nice amount. Still gotta have some nice quality control with Canelo's opponents to insure you get fans interest & I'm sure Fielding won't be THAT big of a fight to most casual boxing fans, but when they do Canelo vs GGG III or Canelo vs Jacobs or Canelo vs Charlo I imagine they'll get an idea what sorta interest there is & how daring mfers are with trying out something new to watch fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Not sure why you're quoting me. What are you going against with what I'm saying?

I didn't say Eddie wasn't there. I just believe he's got a deal with DAZN that him doing anything he can do to help getting GBP on board is helping himself.
              I wasn't going against anything you said!

I couldn't see the video and I was asking if this was what you were talking about.

Somebody embedded it for me so I've seen it now. It's a different interview, but on the same subject.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
                No.. you're misunderstanding .. Hearn absolutely had involvement in DAZN's end.. they asked him to.

Skipper got involved because he knew Oscar.. just because Oscar dealt with skipper doesn't mean Hearn has been cast aside and userped, matchrooms relationship with DAZN extends long further back than the 1 billion dollar deal
                Right, but it seems like what Hearn was getting involved in at first to get Canelo isn't the deal GBP ended up with on DAZN. Skipper wanted to get Canelo, and DLH wasn't going to let that happen unless they got their own dates for their other fighters. So at that point DLH/GBP started to negotiate directly with Skipper. I mean what exactly is Hearn going to provide in those negotiations? When asked about Canelo's guarantees per fight he said he doesn't know and you would have to ask Golden Boy that. If you want to say Hearn had a role in starting the talks? Then sure, but as for the deal GBP got? Hearn wasn't needed and they made it without his involvement. Why do you think GBP wanted that out in every article then? What could be the reason for that?

And John Skipper said this:

So Skipper had been in contact with GBP since October 2nd. Hearn was saying they had dinner on Sunday or what not, but the deal was already supposedly done on the 11th. Something isn't adding up. But even if Hearn believes he was involved, clearly he is overstating it or GBP doesn't believe he was in involved all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  DAZN is actually great for casual fans. Specifically with Canelo being there now. If you were a casual Canelo fan you had to pay $160 a year to see his fights. Now you can just pay $20 a year.

I'd really love to see how the subscribers go up or maybe not so much when Canelo fights. You'd think DAZN basically making Canelo a $10 PPV for fans would bump up DAZN's subscribers by a nice amount. Still gotta have some nice quality control with Canelo's opponents to insure you get fans interest & I'm sure Fielding won't be THAT big of a fight to most casual boxing fans, but when they do Canelo vs GGG III or Canelo vs Jacobs or Canelo vs Charlo I imagine they'll get an idea what sorta interest there is & how daring mfers are with trying out something new to watch fights.
                  But casuals aren't tuning in to all of his fights. He only did 300-350k buys against Angulo/Smith/etc and did about 500k or so buys vs Khan. The million buys have only come from Floyd/JCC Jr/GGG. And again, those casuals usually throw fight parties which they may not if it is on DAZN and they don't know how to get it to their television sets. Canelo will no doubt increase the subscribers, that's not a question. But how much is. Don't think they are reaching a million anytime soon.

Comment

But casuals aren't tuning in to all of his fights.
                    I didn't say they did. But when they do they are saving a nice amount of money.

And I suspect spending only $10 now for fights they aren't THAT excited about might get more people on board anyway just to watch Canelo vs trying to get people to pay $80 for an opponent they weren't invested in or respect enough as a Canelo opponent.

And again, those casuals usually throw fight parties which they may not if it is on DAZN and they don't know how to get it to their television sets.
                    For sure there is gonna be a learning curve for some people. They need to do some smart advertising/marketing to let people know how to watch Canelo's fights.

Canelo will no doubt increase the subscribers, that's not a question. But how much is. Don't think they are reaching a million anytime soon.
                    Idk. I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I probably wouldn't wager they do have 1M subs in 12mos or less. But I'm still learning how easy or hard it is to acquire subs for these sorta platforms & I think at some point a critical mass is gonna happen with it & it'll change everything with live sports. I wouldn't bet on that happening within the next 12 months or anything, but it could if they (&/or others) can push this concept right or catch fire.

I do know WWE Network has been around awhile now & have less than 2M subs last I heard. And Fight Pass has sh^t the bed for the UFC largely, but they've never really pushed that the right way & its just became a hardcore MMA service for the most part that is probably still losing money or just breaking even. So it'll be interesting to see what happens here either way.

Ultimately I believe streaming is the future so for DAZN the question is gonna be will they be the ESPN of streaming sports or will they become a casualty. I think we are a long ways from knowing all that cuz as I see it this sh^t isn't even fully started yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      I didn't say they did. But when they do they are saving a nice amount of money.

And I suspect spending only $10 now for fights they aren't THAT excited about might get more people on board anyway just to watch Canelo vs trying to get people to pay $80 for an opponent they weren't invested in or respect enough as a Canelo opponent.

For sure there is gonna be a learning curve for some people. They need to do some smart advertising/marketing to let people know how to watch Canelo's fights.

Idk. I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I probably wouldn't wager they do have 1M subs in 12mos or less. But I'm still learning how easy or hard it is to acquire subs for these sorta platforms & I think at some point a critical mass is gonna happen with it & it'll change everything with live sports. I wouldn't bet on that happening within the next 12 months or anything, but it could if they (&/or others) can push this concept right or catch fire.

I do know WWE Network has been around awhile now & have less than 2M subs last I heard. And Fight Pass has sh^t the bed for the UFC largely, but they've never really pushed that the right way & its just became a hardcore MMA service for the most part that is probably still losing money or just breaking even. So it'll be interesting to see what happens here either way.

Ultimately I believe streaming is the future so for DAZN the question is gonna be will they be the ESPN of streaming sports or will they become a casualty. I think we are a long ways from knowing all that cuz as I see it this sh^t isn't even fully started yet.
                      I was going to mention the WWE network. So ESPN+ barely went over the million mark and WWE network has around 2 million or so subscribers. I think it is unrealistic to expect DAZN to reach that mark with just boxing/mma as their two sports. To get to that mark, you will need more sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X