Training Gear - Headgear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Gear - Headgear

I ordered some headgear last night.

MPower has headgear for us to use.* It's good gear.* If I could find headgear that fit just right, get it adjusted, and use that same headgear each time, I'd use theirs.* Obviously, I can't guarantee that.* Last night before our sparring, we all went to get headgear and there was enough to go around but I just started to think that maybe I should get my own.**I had considered getting my own headgear a few days ago, but I made the decision to pull the trigger while I was walking towards the gear and everybody else was picking a set out.* I'm serious about training, and Fight Night, so I should commit to some gear.

During sparring I got hit in the head a few times by jabs, one cross and one hook.* I'm working on not having that happen but it's going to.* Since I WILL get hit, and I'll be 50 years old by the time Fight Night occurs, I want to make sure I get a good set of headgear.* I don't need top of the line, but I also don't want to cheap out either.

After losing some sleep researching over the last few days, and specifically last night, I decided to go with Rival Boxing's*RHG10 INTELLI-SHOCK HEADGEAR.

I read many reviews and watched youtube reviews as well, and several stood out as what I was looking for.* In the end, I just went with a gut feeling and chose this one.* Why?* Not sure.* Maybe I just liked the looks of it, or when I winked at it I got a wink back?* Heck, not sure why, but it was on my short list and I don't think it would have mattered which one I chose.

I have no opinion on how it will feel, or work for me.* When it arrives I'll get it fitted and then wear it while doing non-sparring training, just to get used to it.* If it arrives before next Friday I'll wear it while sparring and see how it holds up to real (sparring) use.

So ... there you go.* I've got my own headgear.* It's a good feeling.

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I ordered some headgear last night.

MPower has headgear for us to use.* It's good gear.* If I could find headgear that fit just right, get it adjusted, and use that same headgear each time, I'd use theirs.* Obviously, I can't guarantee that.* Last night before our sparring, we all went to get headgear and there was enough to go around but I just started to think that maybe I should get my own.**I had considered getting my own headgear a few days ago, but I made the decision to pull the trigger while I was walking towards the gear and everybody else was picking a set out.* I'm serious about training, and Fight Night, so I should commit to some gear.

During sparring I got hit in the head a few times by jabs, one cross and one hook.* I'm working on not having that happen but it's going to.* Since I WILL get hit, and I'll be 50 years old by the time Fight Night occurs, I want to make sure I get a good set of headgear.* I don't need top of the line, but I also don't want to cheap out either.

After losing some sleep researching over the last few days, and specifically last night, I decided to go with Rival Boxing's*RHG10 INTELLI-SHOCK HEADGEAR.

I read many reviews and watched youtube reviews as well, and several stood out as what I was looking for.* In the end, I just went with a gut feeling and chose this one.* Why?* Not sure.* Maybe I just liked the looks of it, or when I winked at it I got a wink back?* Heck, not sure why, but it was on my short list and I don't think it would have mattered which one I chose.

I have no opinion on how it will feel, or work for me.* When it arrives I'll get it fitted and then wear it while doing non-sparring training, just to get used to it.* If it arrives before next Friday I'll wear it while sparring and see how it holds up to real (sparring) use.

So ... there you go.* I've got my own headgear.* It's a good feeling.

Rival gear is getting very good. They are starting to get picked up by a lot of top fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Rival gear is getting very good. They are starting to get picked up by a lot of top fighters.
      I'm an old bastard, so I wanted to get a "good" set, within a reasonable price. Opinions are all over and my gym isn't a "real" boxing gym so there isn't a large amount of people to talk to. We have several MMA, martial arts, etc. but only one REAL boxing coach with a small stable of competitive fighters so I didn't trust that small sample size.

Having said that, I scoured the google land and picked that out of my top lists.

I might think I'm so cool with this that I'll wear it around town.

Comment

Can I ask what age you are??

Me preferably I always loved the Adidas headgear. Cheap,aiba approved,and always fits nicely

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post

Me preferably I always loved the Adidas headgear. Cheap,aiba approved,and always fits nicely
          I am 49, and will be 50 when I do this Fight Night thing. I'd like to continue doing them as a form of fitness.

Comment

I didn't look at that one. It must not have shown up on the reviews I was going over. It would have been nice to have been at a gym where there were many who were engaged in sparring to have spoken to people, but we only have a limited amount, and no old bastards like myself.

Comment

I didn't look at that one. It must not have shown up on the reviews I was going over. It would have been nice to have been at a gym where there were many who were engaged in sparring to have spoken to people, but we only have a limited amount, and no old bastards like myself.
              Haha OK cool, Was just wondering if you were boxing competitively or what.
              Cause let's say over 18s don't need headgear,so the only time they would be wearing it is in a proper spar with someone heavier than them. If their under 18,they should invest properly in their headgear,and one they can wear to tournaments.

As for a person who is just keeping fit,white collar Charity events and just messing around so to speak, it doesn't really matter. What ever suits you.

https://www.athleteshop.ie/adidas-ai...RoCP4IQAvD_BwEhttps://www.athleteshop.ie/adidas-ai...RoCP4IQAvD_BwE

This is the headgear I was talking about. It is aiba approved so can be worn during tournaments and all

Comment

Cause let's say over 18s don't need headgear,so the only time they would be wearing it is in a proper spar with someone heavier than them. If their under 18,they should invest properly in their headgear,and one they can wear to tournaments.

As for a person who is just keeping fit,white collar Charity events and just messing around so to speak, it doesn't really matter. What ever suits you.

https://www.athleteshop.ie/adidas-ai...RoCP4IQAvD_BwE

This is the headgear I was talking about. It is aiba approved so can be worn during tournaments and all
                Yes, exactly. It's not that exact event but similar enough to use for a reference so you are dead on. If I continue on with the events after this one, and I plan to, then I'd be sparring 1-2 times a week leading up to them. Far less than many others. I'm serious about training and prepping for this event, but would not enter actual amateur events.

My wife is worked up about this as it is!

Comment

https://www.athleteshop.ie/adidas-ai...RoCP4IQAvD_BwEhttps://www.athleteshop.ie/adidas-ai...RoCP4IQAvD_BwE

That headgear is highly rated. I look around the web for it just now.

Comment

Yes, exactly. It's not that exact event but similar enough to use for a reference so you are dead on. If I continue on with the events after this one, and I plan to, then I'd be sparring 1-2 times a week leading up to them. Far less than many others. I'm serious about training and prepping for this event, but would not enter actual amateur events.

My wife is worked up about this as it is!
                    Haha so the wife is not in agreement with you about it,good luck with that haha

Ya so you don't exactly need a world class headgear if that's what your doing,just something reliable and comfortable for you. But this is only from my perspective.

Rival is a good brand,one of the best, but (IMO) I hate those head guards with the cheek pieces or whatever they are.
                    As a trainer I'm sick to death of having to fix or stop spars cause it turns around,or obstructs someone's vision or doesn't fit well and all that.

From my perspective,your better off sticking to the old good quality reliables, such as addidas or everlast.

An open faced head guard I think is a lot better and comfortable than headgear with cheek pieces or chin straps.

Comment

Working...
                    X