Who Could Roy Jones Not Have Beaten?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    lol @ some of the responses.

Jones certainly schools everyone that came after him. People forget it was after moving up to Heavy and coming back down he got caught by Tarver, who was a decent fighter.

However for all time take

McClellan, Hagler, Monzon (knocks Jones out, he was crafty) George Benton, Ruben Carter, Prime Mccallum.

They all got great chances vs Jones, Even Hopkins in a rematch tbh, in the last rounds of his fight with Jones he seemed to have figured something out.

Not saying they all beat him, but they could.
    Stylistically, a guy like Nunn would have been Roy's hardest fight.

Guys like Gerald would have had a punchers chance.

Bernard wouldn't have beaten Roy in an earlier rematch. And he knew that. Which is why he deliberately priced himself out of the fight to challenge out the JMW champs instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Like I say again, Jones is not even in the top discussions involving GOAT, AT P4P or even greatest light heavyweight ever. He did not take the top challenges that were available, remaining one of the top cherrypickers of all time. He did not hunt down great challenges or try to force them. Cherrypicking is the boxing category he most excelled in.

Any top fighter that avoided his top challenges is going to watch his legacy diminish after retirement. Mayweather's is going to diminish too. Not as far, but it will drop. He was a cherrypicker, though not to the degree of Jones.
      Enlighten us all with your great knowledge.

Who did he cherry pick?

What challenges did he turn down that were available?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
        Enlighten us all with your great knowledge.

Who did he cherry pick?

What challenges did he turn down that were available?
        What are you Zimmerman, blind & halfwitted too? I am not going over worn ground with you. The man fought a long line of shoe clerks. If you don't know that, get a job, son.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
          Stylistically, a guy like Nunn would have been Roy's hardest fight.

Guys like Gerald would have had a punchers chance.

Bernard wouldn't have beaten Roy in an earlier rematch. And he knew that. Which is why he deliberately priced himself out of the fight to challenge out the JMW champs instead.
          Hopkins wanted a 50-50 deal when he was a nobody

Comment

What are you Zimmerman, blind & halfwitted too? I am not going over worn ground with you. The man fought a long line of shoe clerks. If you don't know that, get a job, son.
            :

Comment

You're the only halfwit around here.

Sure, he fought low level mandatories and a few keep busy fights. But guess what, genius, EVERYBODY else did too. When he was the undisputed LHW champ, he mandatory obligations from all 3 Org's. Guys like Kelly and Frazier were mandatories.

Now go and find me a host of other fighters from the same era, who fought around the same weight classes, and compare their resumes.

You can say that Roy missed out on fighters, but you need to know the reasons behind them. Yet you're too ignorant to be educated.

The fact that you think he should have chased down an unknown Calzaghe speaks volumes of your knowledge of the era.

Roy didn't duck anybody.

Guys like Calzaghe, Liles, Hopkins and Dariusz wanted nothing to do with him in the late 90's/early 00's, and nothing you say will change that.

You can't just name guys who he didn't fight and then declare that he ducked them.
              Last edited by robertzimmerman; 04-04-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                :
                He types things out like that, yet then asks why Roy didn't push to fight Calzaghe earlier.

My god, look who Joe was fighting back then.

You can't accuse Roy of that, and then question why he didnt pursue an unknown fighter who fought the exact same calibre of guys, yet more of them.

That's a special kind of stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Hopkins wanted a 50-50 deal when he was a nobody
                  He said he wanted 50/50 during their famous live argument on HBO. But when the dust had settled, he actually demanded $10m or no fight. This was a guy who's biggest purse had been $2.5m against Tito. HBO offered him $6m, and Roy agreed to drop back to 168 for a C-W. But Bernard wouldn't comprise. He again demanded $10m. And when HBO turned him down, he took a year out before he challenged out all of the JMW champs to come up and face him.

If guys like Bernard and Joe had been willing to fight him earlier, he'd obviously have a much better resume.

Comment

• - -Frank Warren controlled British boxing back then, not Joe nor Ricky Hatton.

As soon as they contractually were able, they came to America for big fights, but Warren did arrange a few big British centric fights for them. Joes weight class was one of the strongest not only in Brit history, but overall in that time frame.

Comment

• I think on paper he’d be favoured against all of history at 160-168. Still I think a lot of fights would be close and it’s the fighters that were huge stars and knew how to work the judges that would be hardest. Someone like Leonard could win without actually winning. I don’t know who would be “all wrong” for Roy, but I know he would be for a lot of people. I think his dominance goes down as his weight goes up.

Comment

Working...
                      X