No announcement yet.

need help with staying relaxed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with staying relaxed

Hi guys I was hoping someone in the forum could help me with my problem.

I've been told and I also see that one of my major problems while boxing is that my upperbody becomes very stiff. I try to relax but I find it hard or I just dont know how to while I'm boxing. I definetly feel the reprucssions from my bad habit, as I constantly get knots on my back which hurt.

Could anyone recommend me any tips, drills, exercise, ANYTHING lol to help me fix my very bad habit... It would honestly be a life saver!

Thanks In Advance

Originally posted by adidasteve View Post

I've been told and I also see that one of my major problems while boxing is that my upperbody becomes very stiff. I try to relax but I find it hard or I just dont know how to while I'm boxing. I definetly feel the reprucssions from my bad habit, as I constantly get knots on my back which hurt.

Could anyone recommend me any tips, drills, exercise, ANYTHING lol to help me fix my very bad habit... It would honestly be a life saver!

Thanks In Advance
    lol...thats a hard one...to teach relaxation...for one obviously there is power in relaxation..so that is a must..u just basicly gotta get over the fear..everyone gon get hit...just learn to pick and chose wich ones...BREATHING is the key i wuold say....instead of griping a closed tight fist in the gloves..open em up a lil....and once again..breath....sit at home at night and close your eyes..imagine yourself fighting..but most importantly..focus on relaxing during your fantasy dream fight..sounds kinda corny i know but def helps

Comment

Thanks In Advance
      Bud i think the only thing that brings you relaxation is experience, it took me 10 years to become fully at ease in the ring, i'm not saying that its going to take you that long though, like all techniques people pick things up at different rates.
      Whenever i'm teaching novices i try to impress on them that relaxation is the most important thing in boxing, if your relaxed you can defend yourself better, anticipate punches better, move better and are much faster. It cant be taught though, i'd say plenty of sparring and time. Whats the worst that can happen? A bloody nose, a bruised eye? How many times have you seen a fighter get knocked out or seriously hurt in your gym, i'd bet very rarely if ever......your all in the same boat and are there to learn, if your coach partners you carefully in sparring there really isnt anything to worry about.
      Slow down aswell, you wont learn by going hell for leather (ironically something novices do when nervous!)
      I'd say a perfect fight to watch as an example would be Mayweather v Hatton, Hatton was wound as tight as a drum and made mistakes because of it, Mayweather was relaxed with that left hand by his waist style and barely looked like he'd broke a sweat in the 10th rd. Be patient!

Comment

Thanks In Advance

Try dancing, don't laugh as you get comfortable and get some rythm it can make you relax in the ring. You can also spar often and get used to being in the ring

Comment

You need to move about more and bob and weave if your upper body is stiff you wouldn't be able to duck and weave punches.

Comment

Thanks In Advance
            Getting tense always pissed me off. You will learn to relax with experience. Just work on your breathing, only clench your fists when throwing a punch and also before sparring make sure you warm up and loosen up properly. Aside from that just get as much sparring in as possible and you will become much more comfortable in the ring.

Comment

training, and trying exercises in good form. The more you do it, the more your body adapts and uses less energy.

Also Flexibility exercises definetly help relaxation, making the muscles more supple, and you gain more control. Doing flexiblity exercises actually have alot of benefits ALOT.

Comment

spar with ur hands down , i always fight more relaxt that way

Comment

Originally posted by Fidayin View Post
                  spar with ur hands down , i always fight more relaxt that way
                  Good point, if theres a particularly tense boxer at the gym i'll tell him to drop his hands when on the pads, not a good habit to get into whilst sparring but it will help you relax

Comment

/

i had your same problem once,

what helped me was ,

if you do any doubles work at your gym such as two of you in a pair practcing blocking shots, ducking, weaving or if you dont then get a partaner and when you do practice, just relax because you know its not real sparring, get used to blocking shots wiht ease and ducking, when practceing just realx and even when on the bag practice just relaxing visulise your openent throwing shots at you and imagine you ducking, sliping and blocking those shots,
                    and then when you going into the ring and when you climb through the ropes remember what youve practiced and relax block, move about,

p.s anoter thing that helps is to instead of keeping you hands still move them about, such as ciircular movments with the left hand small or median sized circular movents witht he left glove, that helps me, just give it a go now see wht it feels like, focus on your elbow going up and down and in small circels, just dont let your gaurd down, you will see what i meen if you try it,

try moving your head side to side slightyl aswell

Comment

Working...
                    X