Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: How Much Alcohol Can You Drink Before It Starts to Mess with Your Fitness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Correct.

Incorrect. Absolutely, scientifically, incorrect. Moderate alcohol consumption can be good for the heart. Just one of MANY studies;
    HDL cholesterol (HDL-C) concentrations are well established as a major protective factor against coronary heart disease.1 Moderate alcohol intake has been associated with protection against coronary heart disease in observational studies
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/102/19/2347
    You could literally spend all day reading studies that show alcohol benefitting the heart and cardiovascular system.

Some people are irrationally biased against alcohol and swear it as some kind of scourge. Unfortunately, these folks don't open their mind up enough to realize that it CAN be beneficial in certain ways.

Personally, I have always had a condition where ALL my cholesterol is low, both 'good' and 'bad'. I have a drink every other night in order to help with that. I have no addiction to alcohol so I actually have to remind myself to do it but I have noticed that it positively affects my well-being in several ways. Including better recovery from workouts (reduced soreness the next day), I suffer less from insomnia, and have a better state of mind throughout the week (less anxiety).

Again, that's not from getting drunk. That's from very mild alcohol use. Excess is an entirely different thing and I know this too well, having lost a best friend to alcohol consumption.
    living out here in the real world, like i do, i've yet to meet anyone who uses alcohol in the utopic moderate fashion in which it can be beneficial.

instead, alcohol brings with it a litany of negative consequences.

c'mon, man.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
      yeah because a doctor hasn't ever written anything to line their pockets. sheep.

Haha, so you're that sort of person.

He actually points out in the book how the original USDA food pyramid was pulled every which way by the dairy industry, livestock industry, etc. and is a totally flawed dietary guide because of that.

I really doubt the alcohol industry was paying him under the table to speak on the results of countless studies on the effects of small amounts of alcohol on health. Take off your tinfoil hat, bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
        Haha, so you're that sort of person.

He actually points out in the book how the original USDA food pyramid was pulled every which way by the dairy industry, livestock industry, etc. and is a totally flawed dietary guide because of that.

I really doubt the alcohol industry was paying him under the table to speak on the results of countless studies on the effects of small amounts of alcohol on health. Take off your tinfoil hat, bud.
        let me ask you something, you ever know anyone to get any benefit from drinking? outside of a good buzz.

don't be a simpleton, just answer that very easy question.

Comment

let me ask you something, you ever know anyone to get any benefit from drinking? outside of a good buzz.

don't be a simpleton, just answer that very easy question.

Tons of people

Comment

Tons of people
            Ok

well in my 35 years of life i haven't met one.

Comment

Tons of people
              Same. I also know many who just can't do it. Some ruin their lives and others learn to just stop drinking altogether because they can't do it in moderation.

Like I said, I have zero addiction and even if I'm partying, I stop drinking as soon as I'm at the point where I've got the buzz I want. There's a lot of people like me who have that control. I have noticed though that those without that control often don't understand it. They just think of alcohol as an evil.

Weed gets the same treatment. I don't smoke it because it makes me too complacent. But, I recognize that it has medicinal value. A lot of people think of it as an evil though, that everyone using it is just chasing a high.

Comment

living out here in the real world, like i do, i've yet to meet anyone who uses alcohol in the utopic moderate fashion in which it can be beneficial.

instead, alcohol brings with it a litany of negative consequences.

c'mon, man.
                I use it in moderation. I share a glass of wine with my girlfriend every night since we both love wine.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                  I use it in moderation. I share a glass of wine with my girlfriend every night since we both love wine.
                  I actually read, in several articles, that numerous people who lived to the point of 100+ - drank wine on a regular basis. Some drank one glass per day.

Comment

The benefits of abstaining from alcohol are really great. I eat unhealthy food sometimes but ever since I've stayed away from alcohol my body feels great.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                      Like I said, I have zero addiction and even if I'm partying, I stop drinking as soon as I'm at the point where I've got the buzz I want. There's a lot of people like me who have that control. I have noticed though that those without that control often don't understand it. They just think of alcohol as an evil.
                      For me, there is no point in that. If I drink it's half a liter of vodka minimally and if I don't drink it's zero alcohol. I can't just drink like one beer and then just stop. That's why I need to stay away from alcohol completely and I successfully managed that for a long time now. I don't even miss it anymore.

I think it's cultural, we're really passionate here in the Balkans, it's always everything or nothing. When I was young and we were going out we always drank tons of alcohol and stayed up until like 5 or 6AM, constantly drinking. I guess I was really addicted to it at some point and just tasting alcohol I wanted to go crazy immediately. Luckily I stopped with that while I was still young (in my early 20s) when I found boxing. But if I tried alcohol now I would probably want to relive the good old days. We had some crazy nights.

Comment

Working...
                      X