why's cruiserweight dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not dead, just not aired in the US.

Comment

I like the CW division. It's thrown up some good, exciting fights over the last few years.

When you look at the names taking up most of the top 10 spots, mixed in with some potential talent..then there's good fights there to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
        all eastern euros, they should try to market themselves in america!!
        or i guess i should just follow their boxing more
        Why bother? Haymon would get a belt holder and then would sink the division again.

Comment

When cruiserweight started it was 190 pounds in the days of same day weigh ins. It was created for boxers who couldn't quite get down to 175 to fight as a light heavyweight but didn't want to fight 220 pound heavyweights. It made some sense back then. Then they raised the weight limit to 195 and then 200 pounds and started having weigh ins 30+ hours before the fight. Some cruiserweights enter the ring weighing 220 pounds. That's a big heavyweight. Tyson and Foreman weighed 220 when they first won the title and Joe Louis weighed 200. Most cruiserweights are now just heavyweights and if they're good they will try to win the heavyweight title like Haye did. It's a useless division today and most fans prefer the heavyweights because most good cruiserweights end up fighting heavyweight anyway. Today's cruiserweights are heavyweights and that's where the big money is.

Comment

all eastern euros, they should try to market themselves in america!!
            or i guess i should just follow their boxing more
            Dunno. I am happy with Ryabinsky and events in Russia (they are always stacked), and unlike Haymon, Ryabinsky is always trying to get most dangerous and best opponents for his fighters. Now he is negotiating with Glowacki about fight against Kudryashov.

Comment

where can i stream these fights :0?

Comment

interesting.., i wonder why there are so few non-european cruiserweights.
                Evander Holyfield.

Rather than compete against other cruiserweights, a lot of folks decide to simply be small heavyweight, chasing the heavyweight title like Holyfield did.

Europeans, especially during the era since basically Sonny Liston, who were in a similar position, chose to stick at 200.

Comment

There's lots of talent and many exciting fights at cruiserweight, but they are not televised in the USA for some reason.

Surely after a fight like Glowacki-Huck they'll have some more on.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    Not dead, just not aired in the US.
                    Too few Americans seem to be able to work out the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                      Too few Americans seem to be able to work out the difference.
                      tbf, in this instance, not much of the CW division is aired in the UK either, so when you aren't being aired in the two biggest boxing markets, promoters and managers and fighters all need to up their game.

Comment

Working...
                      X