Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do ya'll consider a failure in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    Thought alts weren't allowed? And that both the alt and the original account should be banned if discovered?
    You dont got tha juice like that. Levels.

Comment

Judah berto and broner all made it to the elite level but they didn’t perform well at the elite level, not failures but let downs.

Comment

Berto, Judah, Broner are tremendous fighters.
        They only lost to the creme de la creme.

It's just they were sold as the next big thing by media and never reached that level, they came up short.

All of them were gifted fighters so we could expect maybe a bit more.

HBO and ST hyped them harsly to be fair.

Comment

[QUOTE=john l;18413092] guys just get so heart broke after the next KO king gets outboxed/outthought.T/QUOTE]

Margarito, pac, Kovy, MarGGGarito - yeah, those "fans" abandon ship once the KOs stop

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            If you know their names, they're probably not a failure. Unless they're Brian Sutherland.
            Failures are the guys that ditch other career opportunities in order to pursue boxing and never make any money off it. Dudes that get on TV a few times at least get some money and a coaching career at the local gym.
            yes Red there is a lot to this "web" actually: Professional fighting has a much more flexibility than most professional sport endevours. Regarding opportunity many guys do coach in gyms and for different fight sports as well.

In team sports the rigid hierarchy is such that if a man is excellent he will play in a league, many amateur leagues with a pedigree are actually even utilized by players during the off season. For example, the Rutgers Harlem league in basketball, where local guys and NBA stars mix, or the sandlot leagues in New York that brought up many baseball players who, because they lived in the East Coast, needed to find a way to play more games during the year.

However there is a strict quality control issue when it comes to who plays professionally. Even for sports teams in Europe, or minor league teams... Size requirements, etc.

In fighting it is different. Guys can come up in a local area and fight MMA if they can get promoted. I remember this from San Francisco when the first professional fights were sanctioned...the fighters were all local and getting paid to fight... it was not a large jump for these guys to make some noise and fight at better venues. Boxing also has that potential.

Fighting has always been a path that is open. We still get the same type of provisions: You have to be very good... but there are less hierarkical systems to endure. This is particularly true in MMA but also in boxing to a large extent.

Comment

Most boxing fans don't even realize there are 20k+ pro boxers I suspect. They don't even think about that sorta thing really. They just know "ATG" & bums. And there is little in between those two categories of boxers to them. It is what it is.

Comment

hmmmm, what do I consider a failure in boxing....

guy trips trying to climb through the ropes, hits his head on the canvas and knocks himself out before the fight starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Most boxing fans don't even realize there are 20k+ pro boxers I suspect. They don't even think about that sorta thing really. They just know "ATG" & bums. And there is little in between those two categories of boxers to them. It is what it is.
                  so true, it's why I don't use the term "bums" I'll say things like "club fighters" "part timers" "ham and eggers" etc.

Just getting into the ring takes more courage than the public will ever understand. Every time we get in that ring, we are putting our lives on the line. There are no bums! Not even Boxcar Bob! Look at the size of that bindle!

Comment

People don’t understand boxing. The average person just thinks about a few things when they bring it up. Pain, punching people in the face, brain damage, Ouch.... that kinda stuff.

They don’t understand the sweet science of it. The heart, the blood sweat and tears it takes to be a fighter. The training, the humility, the sweet feeling of having your arm raised... having the nay-sayers all of a sudden ask “How did you do it?” instead of “Why are you doing it?”... any of it...

Calling someone the next “Adrian Broner” is obviously a little embarrassing. Calling someone the next anything I don’t like at all. Do your best to be you.

Comment

all this because you predicted broner to be the next fighter of the decade and you were tremendously wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X