Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jorge Linares greatness is he a future hof?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
    He just lost to Luke Campbell today in my eyes and in the eyes of many. Seems to barely squeak by his victories against guys who don't seem to have nearly as many tools as he does. He's got talent but he will get outclassed once he fights an A level guy. He's another Broner in disguise.
    First of all your eyes are untrained because that was a clear cut victory for Linares.

Broner in disguise.. Smh are you a novice or do you just not know sht about boxing?

U dont know sht

Comment

Originally posted by kidbazooka View Post
      Hahahahahaha

You need to get your eyes checked buddy.

Broner shiiiiiit Linares is a super skilled boxer, broner is just a joke.

I see you European Campbell fans are still salty. Lol
      Linares got his ass totally beat by DeMarco, I don't think that helps his cause that much. I don't think he will imo.

Comment

Lmao no way! Linares sucks

Comment

If he had a golovkin chin he would be in the p4p list for sure

Comment

In his prime he got stopped by Demarco and then the very next fight got stopped by some nobody over in Mexico.

Comment

No. Last night he was an getting tagged by the same punch over and over. He made no adjustments. He looked good last night but you could also see his glaring flaws. He'll have real problems against stiffer competition.

Comment

For pure skill, there haven't been many guys better than Linares, he reminds me of Canizales.
                Skill in pro boxing can be beaten by fighters who make the fight "ugly", Guys like BHop, Ward and Mayweather.
                I can imagine Linares vs Floyd at 135. Every time Linares would get into a flow, Floyd would reach out with his octopus arms and grab him. Definitely hard to watch.
                Last edited by ruedboy; 09-24-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

No. Definitely not.

His great run has been vs the likes of Crolla, Campbell and Mitchell. Two of which he struggled with.

Its not a very good era for LWs with only really Garcia looking like a top fighter.

I think Garcia, Easter jnr, Shafikov and Commey represent the other top guys in the division and i want to see him in with a few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    No. Last night he was an getting tagged by the same punch over and over. He made no adjustments. He looked good last night but you could also see his glaring flaws. He'll have real problems against stiffer competition.
                    Exactly. Even though I gave the fight to Linares 7-5, because Luke thought he was a judge and didn't fight in the championship rounds, I thought Linares was more flash and less substance and the opposite for Luke.

Edit: I scored the fight for 114-113 Linares not 7-5
                    Last edited by Oluminati; 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

As I've said often, if certain guys can get into the HOF then the standard is not particularly high.

However, if the question is really about LInares being a great fighter or not, then that's a pretty good debate to have. In terms of his skills, which have only gotten better the older he has become, LInares is almost text book. His straight punches are beautiful and always have been, his movement into range and combinations are how you would wish kids to do it. The downside is that his defence is not great and he can often be hit, which would be fine if he did not cut and swell so easily and if he had better punch resistance. Having said that, no one at lightweight since DeMarco and Thompson have really hurt him all that much. I think the Mitchell fight was really telling, where he had to do things people had said he could not: fight through pain, blood and a physical beating.

Since then, he has looked almost unstoppage at the weight. He beat arguably the 2 or 3 lw in back to back fights and beat the no. 2 WBC contender rather easily. The litmus test as a lightweight would be Mikey (fight is irrelevant to me at 140). If not, then unifying and defending against the likes of Flanagan and Easter. Wins in thsoe categories, especially if the wins are as impressive as they have been, means Linares goes down as arguably the best lw of the century.

Comment

Working...
                      X