Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Frazier Have Lasted The 15th Round?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Frazier Have Lasted The 15th Round?

What do you guys think? He sustained a lot of damage but I think Ali would have KOd him and the corner did the right thing but a lot of friends seem to think he would have lasted.

Also, does anyone have the exact dialogue that was said in after the 14th round between Frazier and his cornermen?

Dont think i t would have made much of a difference, ali had the fight on cards and both was totaly exhausted.
    I dont think ali would have koed joe

Comment

If his corner had not stopped that fight, Joe Frazier would be dead right now instead of dead.

Comment

If you believe in what’s said in the great “Thrilla in Manila”-documentary, Ali had threw in the towel if Frazier had entered the 15th round.

Though, I doubt Ali had. Yet, it makes one wonder, how badly injured was he at that precise moment …

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
          If you believe in what’s said in the great “Thrilla in Manila”-documentary, Ali had threw in the towel if Frazier had entered the 15th round.

Though, I doubt Ali had. Yet, it makes one wonder, how badly injured was he at that precise moment …
          That documentary was severely anti-Ali so I would not read too much into it, what I do think was happening was that Ali was very, very tired, lost a lot of water and probably showcasing doubt in the corner.

Regardless, if both men went out for that 15th, Frazier was the one in serious trouble. Almost blind, having taken serious right hands or the last several rounds. He may have received a beating he would not have recovered from.

Comment

It would have been interesting to see.

Comment

I don't think Frazier would have been finished, he got up what 7 times against Foreman? Even if Ali manages to drop Frazier in the 15th round and then several more times I don't think he gets the job done inside of 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                That documentary was severely anti-Ali ...
                I wouldn’t call the documentary anti-Ali, but more a pro-Frazier.
                After all, Ali wasn’t at his nicest around the years the fight happened, his manners spoke for themselves.

When you watch the three Parkinson talk-shows with Ali, you can see how his personality changes over time.
                In 1971, Ali is funny and entertaining.
                In 1974, he is unnecessarily aggressive and confrontational.
                In 1981, he is humble and polite.

Comment

I wouldn’t call the documentary anti-Ali, but more a pro-Frazier.
                  After all, Ali wasn’t at his nicest around the years the fight happened, his manners spoke for themselves.

When you watch the three Parkinson talk-shows with Ali, you can see how his personality changes over time.
                  In 1971, Ali is funny and entertaining.
                  In 1974, he is unnecessarily aggressive and confrontational.
                  In 1981, he is humble and polite.
                  Not really true. He is just as charming as as funny in all those interviews, sadly the last one is where he is not able to speak as well. In 74 is the one with the whole Bible debate wheer ALi felt Parky was trying to put him on the spot with regards to reading. It got a bit sticky but Parky even admits he could have been more sensitive. The rest of the interview still has funny moments.

In terms of that final Frazier fight, the documentary had it all one way traffic, portraying Ali has some insensitive buffoon yet FRazier was no angel. At times he called Ali Clay, something he knew Ali hated and then, at the dinner with the Phillipines Pres and wife, Frazier called him a mix breed. Mix breed? Is Ali a horse or a dog?

Frazier got what was coming to him and ended his life very bitter, although Ali tried to make it up to him several times. Apparently there was some good will on the deathbed but that was noway for Frazier to live his twilight years.

Comment

I am of the opinion Ali became (truly) exhausted the moment he knew the fight was over, but had he needed to fight the 15th, he would have. It's like a marathon runner, in the last mile he is still driving for the tape, but the moment it's over he is truly exhausted. Top athletes function in a zone that we can only hope to imagine; will never experience.
                    Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X