No announcement yet.

What kind of shoes do you train in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of shoes do you train in?

Meaning, general gym work. Not sparring.

I don't like cross-trainers or running shoes that much (no ankle support)

Basketball shoes are cool, good ankle support but they tend to not have great traction and they're heavy. They also tend to not hold up well for me due to all the pivoting.

What kind of shoes do you like to wear? Do you wear sneakers or actual boxing shoes?

I am considering wearing cheap wrestling shoes to workout in. They are most similar to boxing shoes, light weight, great ankle support and good for pivoting. I'm just not how well they'll hold up to workouts.

http://www.champssports.com/product/...gle-_-30690990

i saw somewhere you mentioning you lost 100lb's

meaning you may be a bit of a big boy. so i'd stick with the basketball trainers/wrestling trainers and avoid typical flimsy boxing boots. they don't offer much support

Comment

Also if you have past foot injuries. when you skip wearing typical boxing boots, they're very thin and offer zero support. could potentially cause more injury

i'd definitely say stick with the wrestling boot. if you've got great footwork, it won't particular matter much anyway.

Comment

Yea, I'm still a big boy.

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1...606/shoe-2.jpg

I have these now and as cheap as they are, they are perfect. They are wrestling shoes. They don't have great traction though. I'm going to look for some more wrestling shoes with maybe a little more traction and support on the bottom.

I don't have foot issues but I have flat feet. Use inserts to support. arch.

Comment

Thing is, if you don't mind me saying. you don't want traction on a boot.

a canvas is very smooth, it's material after all. you don't want traction because it'll mean your boots may drag along the canvas.

a smooth bottom is always better, you'll glide more.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwitch View Post
            Thing is, if you don't mind me saying. you don't want traction on a boot.

a canvas is very smooth, it's material after all. you don't want traction because it'll mean your boots may drag along the canvas.

a smooth bottom is always better, you'll glide more.
            There is the rub though...they are perfect when I'm in the ring (that's their purpose), but when I'm training on the concrete floor, they can be a little slick at times. Every now and then, the gym floor may actually be damp...i get good balance practice then because wearing these shoes on a damp floor is like trying to box on ice lol. Bad balance = you're on your ass.

All in all, I agree with you though. Wrestling shoes seem to be the best option. Cross-trainers just not enough support and basketball shoes too stiff/heavy.

Comment

Re: boxing boots....I bought some of these...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...eL._SX395_.jpg

Worse boxing shoe ever.

Comment

Although i coached a kid last year that wore basketball boots and he moves awesome so it's entirely up to you.

But either a wrestling boot or a basketball boot would serve you well. and then just keep your old wrestling boots for strictly in work and competing

you got the best of both worlds then.

Comment

Yeah Title usually make some good stuff.

But then it may be the style of the boot thats bothering you. definitely get a wrestling boot or even a basketaball boot just for on the bags and skipping.

i'd get a basketball boot tbh, i doubt they're that heavy and offer great support. can wear them outside the gym too

Comment

Originally posted by greenwitch View Post
                    Yeah Title usually make some good stuff.

But then it may be the style of the boot thats bothering you. definitely get a wrestling boot or even a basketaball boot just for on the bags and skipping.

i'd get a basketball boot tbh, i doubt they're that heavy and offer great support. can wear them outside the gym too
                    Good feedback. Doesn't hurt to have 2 for different purposes. I guess in fairness, there are a few basketball shoes that worked well. But they just didn't hold up all that well. But the wrestling shoes may not do much better. Will have to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X