No announcement yet.

Is boxing a martial art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 666boy666
    That it is. But one thing's for sure, it's not a martial art. It's one of those things that has no leeway with the terminology.

Here's the definition :

martial arts, various forms of self-defense, usually weaponless, based on techniques developed in ancient China, India, and Tibet. In modern times they have come into wide use for self-protection, as competitive sports, and for exercise.

Boxing wasn't created in asia, so therefor it is not a martial art
    The real difference is that boxing was created as a contest (sport), where martial arts are for self defense and war (hence the word martial), and usually contain an element of philosophy.

Comment

boxing isnt a martial art

martial arts such as karate judo etc were created by peasants and farmers in oriental countries to protect themselves from wars as they had less access to weapons

boxing is a sport

it focuses on damaging the opponent rather than defending oneself

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
        The real difference is that boxing was created as a contest (sport), where martial arts are for self defense and war (hence the word martial), and usually contain an element of philosophy.

This is true, but I'm quoting the actual dictionary. Like I said, it's a term that has no leeway, you can call it whatever you want, you can "take it" however you want, but that is THE definition of martial arts, there's no "I think it's this".

Comment

Originally posted by pAnIcPuNch
          For me, boxing is the best martial art style. Those kung fu praying mantis **** doesnt work in a real fight. Most martial arts are for movies only.
          Doesn't work much in a real fight does it? check this **** out
          http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kungfufighter.html

Comment

ebaum, dat guy in the clip is the crapiest fighter i ever seen and i bet he doesnt do kung fu, and if he does, dats putting the style even worse then i thought it was, it was a lucky punch to a weak ass chin, i wud drop the ****

Comment

eeeh the other guyu was ****ty.

lets see a kung fu master aginst a pro boxer OUCH.

Comment

i just looked up martial arts in wikipedia and they have a pretty cool and lengthy article on all the forms. the way i and they figure it is that boxing is englands form of martial arts, kind of how taekwondo is korean and aikido is japanese and savate is french

Comment

Working...
                X