Coordination drills?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coordination drills?

Hey all,

so, my issue is, I'm very bad at coordinating my movements -- legs and arms, that is... when I focus on arms, I make mistakes with legs and when I focus on legs, I make mistakes with arms and more often than not, I make mistakes with everything because I can't manage to focus on everything at once. I've always been very clumsy but I'm telling myself I'm not going to give up. And the coach at my club says even a clumsy bloke like me can eventually become a good boxer. (I don't necessarily aim at being a good boxer, not suck at it sounds good enough to me).

So, my question is, are there any specific drills -- apart from general stuff like shadowboxing -- to help me with coordination so that I'm able to do things with BOTH my arms and legs without having to think about it too heavily -- or, is it perhaps just about training a lot until the body learns it?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

Originally posted by Jovanny View Post
    Hey all,

so, my issue is, I'm very bad at coordinating my movements -- legs and arms, that is... when I focus on arms, I make mistakes with legs and when I focus on legs, I make mistakes with arms and more often than not, I make mistakes with everything because I can't manage to focus on everything at once. I've always been very clumsy but I'm telling myself I'm not going to give up. And the coach at my club says even a clumsy bloke like me can eventually become a good boxer. (I don't necessarily aim at being a good boxer, not suck at it sounds good enough to me).

So, my question is, are there any specific drills -- apart from general stuff like shadowboxing -- to help me with coordination so that I'm able to do things with BOTH my arms and legs without having to think about it too heavily -- or, is it perhaps just about training a lot until the body learns it?

Thanks in advance,
    J.
    Dont focus on your arms man. I guarantee the problem is your feet. Get your legs under you first and then you can start mixing it up. Everyone learns differently man so dont down yourself calling yourself clumsy, just focus repetitiously your foot work. Once you gain balance and muscle memory, start mixing in your hands and head movement. Lots of trainers are impatient when teaching and wanna jump right into punching but in the beginning focus should primarily be on stance & coordination.

One drill that helped my 13yo was putting him on the treadmill in his orthodox stance, at a low speed, and have him step forward for about 5 mins, laterally (right and left) for 5, backwards for 5 and remember NEVER CROSS YOUR FEET!!! After about a week straight, his feet really improved then he began to mix in some punches the next week. The week after we threw in head movement and the week after we added speed...

This I know isnt the best footwork drill BUT its good for an amateur that trying to learn balance and coordination while moving and punching. Other footwork drills like tying a rope diagnally from ring post to ring post helps but Ive seen lots of people get confused and quit that drill when first starting because for 1 its boring and 2 it can be confusing

Comment

As it turns out, my big problem was that I didn't position my feet right. Now I've found out what my mistakes were, everything seems to be easier, at least regarding coordination, that is. Thank you very much, your comment has been really helpful to me!

Comment

Speed Ladder Drills | Improve Boxing and MMA Footwork
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB09rvOZUXk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
          Speed Ladder Drills | Improve Boxing and MMA Footwork
          Looks great, I'm starting to save money for the ladder!

Comment

Originally posted by Jovanny View Post
            Looks great, I'm starting to save money for the ladder!
            Save$ and just put tape on the ground in the shape of a ladder. We have them all over my gym.

And Thanks for the green! But again drills like the ladder are very helpful for speed but once you get coordinated. Once you can throw punches, move that head/upper body all while moving front back and side to side. Then I would say start focusing on foot speed.

Comment

Working...
            X