Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Crawford lineal welterweight champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Crawford lineal welterweight champ?

It seems strange to me that Tyson Fury is built up as the lineal champ but no one talks about Terence Crawford.

It really surprises me that top rank and espn don’t talk about it at least. Is it just because Fury doesn’t have a belt? I would think saying lineal and WBO welterweight champion would make Crawford’s welterweight run seem like a bigger deal.

If you’re wondering what the heck I’m talking about, Manny Pacquiao retired as lineal welterweight champion after beating Tim Bradley but returned 7 months later. He eventually lost to Jeff Horn who lost to Crawford.

If Tyson Fury can be retired for two years and not lose his lineal status, Pacquiao certainly didn’t lose it in 7 months.

No, Crawford is not lineal champion and neither is Fury.

If the lineal champion retires, the championship is vacated until the #1 fights the #2.

Most at this point would probably agree that Fury vs Wilder II should be for the lineal heavyweight championship. But the title itself is vacant at the moment.

At welterweight it has to be Crawford vs Spence, or possibly Thurman depending on what each does before then.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
      It seems strange to me that Tyson Fury is built up as the lineal champ but no one talks about Terence Crawford.

It really surprises me that top rank and espn don’t talk about it at least. Is it just because Fury doesn’t have a belt? I would think saying lineal and WBO welterweight champion would make Crawford’s welterweight run seem like a bigger deal.

If you’re wondering what the heck I’m talking about, Manny Pacquiao retired as lineal welterweight champion after beating Tim Bradley but returned 7 months later. He eventually lost to Jeff Horn who lost to Crawford.

If Tyson Fury can be retired for two years and not lose his lineal status, Pacquiao certainly didn’t lose it in 7 months.
      You should seriously consider working for Top Rank .

Comment

Was Manny vs Tim for the lineal WW title? I don't remember that to be the case. To me the WW lineal title has been vacant since Floyd left boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Was Manny vs Tim for the lineal WW title? I don't remember that to be the case. To me the WW lineal title has been vacant since Floyd left boxing.
          Actually it was for the lineal championship as Pacquiao was rated 1 and Bradley 2 was rated by TBRB

https://www.tbrb.org/2016/04/20/12-april-2016-2/

Comment

Originally posted by R-C View Post
            Actually it was for the lineal championship as Pacquiao was rated 1 and Bradley 2 was rated by TBRB

https://www.tbrb.org/2016/04/20/12-april-2016-2/
            Thats the TBRB version. Idk that Tim & Manny were 1 & 2 by most people back then.

I know they weren't fighting for the Ring version of it. And most people consider the Ring champ the lineal champ it seems like.

And randomly this is the problem with lineal bs in the first place. There isn't a universal lineal rankings when the lineal champion retires.

Comment

If you believe in the lineal title, he is whatever you want him to be.

He could also be the green goblin fairy champion.

Comment

Oh...why did you bring this up? You're just going to trigger people who can't wrap their heads around the idea that Jeff 'The Hornet' Horn is in the history books as part of the legacy of the lineal title alongside legends like Floyd and Manny.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Thats the TBRB version. Idk that Tim & Manny were 1 & 2 by most people back then.

I know they weren't fighting for the Ring version of it. And most people consider the Ring champ the lineal champ it seems like.

And randomly this is the problem with lineal bs in the first place. There isn't a universal lineal rankings when the lineal champion retires.
                  The Ring split from the lineal title years ago, when De La Hoya bought Ring Magazine.

TBRB was literally created because The Ring was no longer neutral, nor accountable to its own rules (they once sanctioned a title fight involving the #4 fighter in their rings).

Comment

Many don't consider Fury the lineal world champion anymore, but most considered him the lineal world champion at one point.

Whereas very few ever considered Jeff Horn the lineal world champion.

Cyber Boxing Zone doesn't consider Fury the champion anymore, but they did at one point. They've never considered Horn or Crawford champion though.

When Pacquiao retired, he vacated the lineal title. So he no longer had it to lose to Horn.

Fury denies that he ever retired, which is why there is a dispute over whether he's still the champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X