Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Skipper not thrilled with the idea of AJ fighting in the UK next.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joshua wants that UK advantage.

Comment

When mixed with the below info (which I've been curious about so thanks for posting that) its a tough call to rematch in the US or the UK. Team Joshua/Matchroom want certain advantages in the rematch so the UK probably makes more sense for them & even for DAZN they know the Joshua package is worth more money then the Ruiz package or just the non-Joshua situation so do they just wanna 1 off a UK fight to give Joshua the best chance to win & move forward & keep him with DAZN & a draw at the same time? Or do they just go for viewers, which aren't impressive at this point either way, & maybe risk the long term viewers potential if they can get the Joshua vs Wilder fight made on DAZN?

Idek how that all shakes out cuz there seems like there could be a lot of pushing & pulling with that & various stances on the best move, but for sure Joshua fighting in UK-friendly times has very low value for DAZN long term thats a definite so things will get determined off of that base stance I imagine & Joshua's overall goal probably plays into this decision as much if not more than DAZN's. Does he wanna be big in the UK or the world?

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post

Skipper might not even pick Joshua back up after his next fight

Comment

Originally posted by andocom View Post
        Thought Joshua was fight by fight with dazn, he is signed to Matchroom UK though. I guess it depends what is in the rematch contract, but if it is up to Joshua and even Matchroom he will be fighting in the UK for sure.

The big fights require him to get his belts back first, that would be more likely in the UK so thats where it will be, plus it will be a massive fight there. If dazn were smart they would see their best bet is to have Joshua get his belts back as step one.
        DAZN is in the US doe. Joshua being HUGE in the UK has little value to them.

The "get his belts back as step one" line is solid doe & I think that could play into it, but Joshua gots to be ready, willing & able to fight in the US long term or DAZN might as well cash out of the Joshua business until/if they enter the UK market.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          DAZN is in the US doe. Joshua being HUGE in the UK has little value to them.

The "get his belts back as step one" line is solid doe & I think that could play into it, but Joshua gots to be ready, willing & able to fight in the US long term or DAZN might as well cash out of the Joshua business until/if they enter the UK market.
          There is nothing for dazn to cash out, Joshua is fight by fight with them. They will have little say in the matter, and priority 1,2 & 3 for matchroom and Joshua is to get the belts back.

Do you actually say "doe" without irony or is that like a character?

Comment

Originally posted by andocom View Post
            There is nothing for dazn to cash out, Joshua is fight by fight with them. They will have little say in the matter, and priority 1,2 & 3 for matchroom and Joshua is to get the belts back.
            You know what I mean when I say cash out. Get outta the Joshua business.

And the priority for Matchroom & Joshua is money not belts. It just happens to be that the money comes easier with the belts is the thing. And DAZN is likely to be the ones to pay them the most money. Hence why Matchroom has this multiyear deal with them & Joshua is with them over HBO (when they were still in boxing) & Showtime or anyone else.

Do you actually say "doe" without irony or is that like a character?
            Its a trademarked & copywritten term. You owe me $5 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              When Kugan mentions Joshua has said his next fight will be in the UK Skipper explains how it's more important to fight in the US. Like I always say, the US is what matters. Skipper agrees.

DAZN has to much momentum from yesterday to let AJ go back to the UK and fight at 5pm US time on a Saturday during college football season.

Time stamped to that part of the interview

Another important part of the interview starts at 4:40 when Skipper is talking about the 100 million offer and the negotiations:

'I knew I had a good hand. We made a very credible offer, they didn't suggest it wasn't credible, they weren't excited back, I think they still like the offer. I believe that we will do something that will look very much similar than what we talked about later on'

So basically all this' betting on himself' talk is BS (not that we didn't know that already). They have no problem with signing a 3 fight deal with DAZN. They just didn't want it back then because they wanted to have Wilder fight on Showtime for a few more fights and then cash out vs Joshua for career highest paydays.

Which was always the plan. Glad it backfired.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                Another important part of the interview starts at 4:40 when Skipper is talking about the 100 million offer and the negotiations:

'I knew I had a good hand. We made a very credible offer, they didn't suggest it wasn't credible, they weren't excited back, I think they still like the offer. I believe that we will do something that will look very much similar than what we talked about later on'

So basically all this' betting on himself' talk is BS (not that we didn't know that already). They have no problem with signing a 3 fight deal with DAZN. They just didn't want it back then because they wanted to have Wilder fight on Showtime for a few more fights and then cash out vs Joshua for career highest paydays.

You ignored the part where he said he'd never met Finkell & it's easier too do business with people you know and that trust between him & Finkell has too be established. And he also said they wanted too make sure DAZN was established and not something here today, gone tomorrow. So when Showtime came close to matching the offer they took the Showtime offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post

He also said they won't do the exact same offer next time around. So I'm guessing what he meant was they would only offer the Joshua fight (s).

Comment

Damn, things are really beginning to unravel for Eddie Hearn and Matchroom. I just so happen to agree with John Skipper.

A matinee Heavyweight rematch between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz in the states would not be a good idea for DAZN. It would only help narrow and marginalize their viewing audience.

Moreover, it's going to be too much competition going on with other sports at the time of the day anyhow between 4:30pm - 5:00pm EST in the U.S. with American college football or even American football.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post

Skipper might not even pick Joshua back up after his next fight
                      I can't blame him. He is no longer the champ.

Comment

Working...
                      X