Are plyometrics beneficial to boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are plyometrics beneficial to boxing?

How does "jump stuff" help in boxing?

Sprinting is plyometric, and the best form of plyometrics.

I would not get to technical about plyometrics, with all the jump box routines etc

Waste of time in my opinion.

Also? Punching a heavy bag is a form of plyometric's.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      Sprinting is plyometric, and the best form of plyometrics.

I would not get to technical about plyometrics, with all the jump box routines etc

Waste of time in my opinion.

Also? Punching a heavy bag is a form of plyometric's.
      I'm not really much into sprints myself.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        As a boxer you are a jack of all trades, the intricate plyometrics are a waste of time and useless 'But if people want to add all this foot drills, and jumping drills into their training? They can!. It may look cool doing box jumps, or some sort of jumping drills but in reality? It does not have much transferable skills to boxing. 'Sprinting is the rawest form of plyometic exercise, and you can manipulated this exercise and at the same time to simultaneously work on other area's of fitness'. Aerobic fitness, Anaerobic fitness, speed and transferable power etc that will actually have transferal benefits to a boxer inside of the ring.

It is best to keep training simple, because training and fitness is incredibly simple 'Always has been'.

Comment

Hill sprint repeats are a good exercise for anyone. The hill obviously makes it more difficult, but also lessens the impact of the foot strike. I do these once or twice a week. sometimes shorter duration 10-15 sec at 100%, or longer at 30 sec or more at 75-80% intensity. 5-10 repeats. Just don't overdo it first few times..always quit with enough in the tank to do 1 or 2 more. 1-2 mile warm up jogging and the same for cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
            Hill sprint repeats are a good exercise for anyone. The hill obviously makes it more difficult, but also lessens the impact of the foot strike. I do these once or twice a week. sometimes shorter duration 10-15 sec at 100%, or longer at 30 sec or more at 75-80% intensity. 5-10 repeats. Just don't overdo it first few times..always quit with enough in the tank to do 1 or 2 more. 1-2 mile warm up jogging and the same for cool down.
            Now that I might try.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post
              How does "jump stuff" help in boxing?
              Plyometric exercises = weight training in disguise; they are a high-risk, low-reward form of weight-training.

While weight training is an essential component of any athlete's regimen, there are far safer and more effective methods of weight training that boxers and other athletes should use.

Comment

Almost couldn't bring myself to comment on this thread lol.

A resounding yes, plyometrics are extremely important for boxing, and really any combat sport (other than maybe BJJ). While traditional boxing training may not incorporate a ton of plyometrics, just about any successful professional boxer or mixed martial artist currently trains using a bunch of plyometrics.

Your power comes from your feet, through your legs through the punch, and plyometrics are extremely beneficial for increasing the explosiveness and power you can generate through your kinetic chain. Its not just jumping and sprinting or footwork drills (which also are extremely beneficial as your hands can only go as fast as your feet and vice verse).

Jumping rope are plyometrics, any sort of medicine ball work (slams, throws, etc) are all plyometrics, explosive pushups are plyo, any sort of circuit training is basically plyometric.

1. If you aren't doing plyometrics you will generally be a less conditioned, less explosive, less powerful athlete (of course this is a generalization so it won't be true in every instance) 2. You are doing plyometrics and probably don't even realize it (ie explosive pushup, jump rope, etc)

Comment

The way I see it, as long as you keep the intensity high and the workouts frequent and long, I think anything can be beneficial to boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    It’s a vital skill:

Comment

Working...
                    X