Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Floyd Mayweather demand a catch-weight before he fought Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom2111 View Post
    Why didn't Floyd Mayweather fight Canelo at 154?
    You know the answer to that he wanted him weak no legs

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      That's a lie. Floyd demanded he come down or no fight and then told the Canelo camp to be quiet about it and pretend the weight was their idea for the promotion

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eight/2802237/

"I'll tell you the truth of what happened," Alvarez said in Spanish through translator Eric Gomez. "Why would I give up the weight? I'm at 154. I'm the 154-pound champion. I wouldn't do that. But when the (fight) negotiations started, they wanted me to go to 147. I said that's physically impossible. I couldn't do it. Then they inched up to 150. I said I can't do it, that's impossible. Those days are over. I can't make that weight anymore, I've grown.

"Then they went up to 151. And then finally, so we could make the fight, I said, 'If anything, I'll give up two pounds. I'll go up to 152. I agreed to that. Then they tried to force me to be quiet and not to mention anything that they came up with the weight of 152. And that's why ... I haven't said anything until now."
      UHH WRONG:

ARTICLE FROM THIS SITE;

Saul Alvarez: I'll Drop To 150 For Floyd Mayweather Jr.
      By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (39-0-1, 29KOs) is willing to drop a few pounds to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26KOs). Mayweather is the World Boxing Council's champion at 147-pounds. Alvarez has no problem facing Mayweather at a catch-weight of 150-pounds.
      Last Saturday in Mexico City, Alvarez retained his title with a fifth round technical knockout of former champion Kermit Cintron.

After his win, Alvarez challenged Mayweather on national television. Mayweather is scheduled to fight on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Alvarez approached Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions, and requested a fight with Mayweather.

"It's what I want, the Mayweather fight. That's what we put on the table. I feel more mature and for that I am willing to go down to 150 pounds," said Canelo to Sal Rodriguez. "De la Hoya said he was going to pursue the Mayweather fight [for me]. We are ready for it. It's what people want, for me to fight someone like [Mayweather]."

“His management put out something on [the website] BoxingScene that they would be willing to fight at a catch weight,” Ellerbe said in the episode. “Because his management is inept, we take advantage of those kinds of things. Why would we go in a different direction? They suggested it, why would we say no and do something different? They put him at a disadvantage, his management did.”

On Tuesday, Mayweather declined to discuss the catch weight -- something he has previously railed against Manny Pacquiao for insisting on in some of his recent fights -- but Ellerbe spoke out again.

“We took advantage of a situation,” Ellerbe said. “The kid suggested it himself a long time ago. He put himself out there like that and we’re going to hold his feet to the fire.”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
        Canelo weighed 153 his previous fight, so his team proposed 152 to ensure they got the deal done as it's the most money Canelo had ever made.

1 pound.
        You never fought I see 1 pound can break you

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
          He didn't. Canelo's team suggested 152 before the fight was signed.

They were even saying 152 is a perfect weight because he will maintain speed.
          That is pure BS. I am guessing you are a very dedicated Mayweather fan to say this. It's just nonsense. Canelo didn't asked to be drained.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            That is pure BS. I am guessing you are a very dedicated Mayweather fan to say this. It's just nonsense. Canelo didn't asked to be drained.
            i'm not a Floyd fan.

Canelo's team were more than happy with 152. They said it would be a perfect weight for them etc. etc. Canelo himself said he was weighing in under 154 for some fights so it won't be a problem and he feels great.

It's only when he lost that it was suddenly a problem.

Comment

I voted he was afraid. Afraid isn't a good word for it but that was the poll option. I don't think Mayweather was afraid but I think he was worried about Canelo's strength and power. Why else would he insist on 152 and diminish the value of the win? He had recently fought Cotto at the full 154 and bragged he only fought fighters at their best weight. 152 was not Canelo's best weight and team Canelo wanted 154 of course. Two years earlier team Canelo had said the 21 year old Canelo would be willing to go down to 152 for a Mayweather fight and some posters are using that to say 152 was their idea but that's not true. At the time of the negotiations for this fight took place the still growing 23 year old Canelo was a big 154 pounder and that is the weight they wanted to fight at. The 152 weight was 100 percent a Mayweather demand. Team Canelo didn't like it but it was that or no fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                i'm not a Floyd fan.

Canelo's team were more than happy with 152. They said it would be a perfect weight for them etc. etc. Canelo himself said he was weighing in under 154 for some fights so it won't be a problem and he feels great.

It's only when he lost that it was suddenly a problem.
                Excuse me for calling you a Floyd fan. My mistake. Saying Canelo wanted to fight Mayweather at 152 is your mistake. It was Mayweather's demand. Team Canelo wanted 154 and complained but agreed so as not to miss the big payday and the chance to fight Mayweather. I have never read or heard anything from any source saying Conelo was the one who wanted 152 and not Mayweather. That makes zero sense. Canelo could agree to 154 and then come in at 152 for extra speed if he wanted to. Why on earth would Canelo's team want a weight limit of 152? Would they be trying to weight drain Mayweather who never weighed over 151 in his career??????

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                  You know the answer to that he wanted him weak no legs
                  True......

Comment

Working...
                  X