Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is Boxings Best Role-Model?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha, a good thing for Pac (lucky chap!), a bad example for the youth of the world....not that Pac flaunted it!

Cheers Mickey on support for Ritchie Woodhall, obviously not an ATG but honestly one of the nicest guys in the sport.

Comment

Suprised no one has mentioned Alexis Arguello yet considering.

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Role models and icons are very seldom the same thing. Icons like ALi, Tyson or even Louis have had drugs problems.

Barney Ross developed a heroin habit after being wounded in world war II and getting hooked on morphine to dull the pain. I don't think this makes him less a role model though, and probably more of one.

After his boxing career was over he joined the military and fought at Guadalcanal earning distinguished service medals for bravery and heroism.

After being discharged he hid his addiction for years until finally calling (a senator or governor? Can't remember) and voluntarily asking to go to a 6 month rehab. Drug rehabs back then weren't like they are now. They were lonely dank places.

Anyway....after he finished his stint in rehab he spoke to kids about the dangers of drugs and his own experiences. This may not sound like a big deal till you understand how taboo the subject was at the time and how much courage it took for a very public figure to openly discuss his shortcomings and pitfalls.

Barney Ross.....Gentleman, champion, war hero, drug addict, role model.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
          If you had to choose one man to be the icon of our sport who would it be?

Personally i cant go past Joe Louis, He was a humble man and one of the greatest. But id like to hear other names and opinions.
          Well, in my era i'd have to say BHOP. Why? cus he took a negative and turned it into a positive.

He used to run wild in the streets, got locked up and never went back. He stayed away from media controversy, never fcuked with hard core drugs, he's all about staying positive and has a good attitude, not really boastful or disrespectful (with the exception of the tito flag incident) i don't think he has any illegitimate children, he's over 40 and still boxing (sort of) plus he's a gentleman. At least that's what i think.

Either him or Sugar Shane Mosely...but i don't know too much about his background to make a clear distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            When I talk about drug addiction I generally mean when boxers get addicted to drugs of their own wrongdoing or character weakness. Barney Ross's case is obviously much different.

Hopkins is a great role model in boxing terms. His life story is amazing, that said he does have a big mouth and is prone to saying the odd comment that is a bit too controversial 'I wont let a white man beat me', not a real role model comment.
            Yeah, i picked BHOP too. But i think when he makes comments like that i think it comes from his social environment growing up. The streets of Philly? Well there's certainly tougher than the streets of SF. This is still America though, and for him to speak his mind like that is in a way commendable. How many people in America only wished they can say what they truly mean.

I'm still stickin with BHOP, cus im extrememly picky when it comes to labeling someone as a "role model"

Marciano is another candidate, but i don't know too much about his background. I would say Pacquiao, but no...i've heard stories about him.

Comment

Wlad Klitchko. Boring to watch but talented and a great guy who is bilingual, has a phd, gives to charitys and is an all round nice guy who shows respect.

Comment

wlad...

juan diaz...

Comment

It's a toss up between Ike Ibeabuchi and Zab Judah.

Comment

As far as active fighters.....I would say the Klitschkos seem to be top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
                      If you had to choose one man to be the icon of our sport who would it be?

Personally i cant go past Joe Louis, He was a humble man and one of the greatest. But id like to hear other names and opinions.
                      jesus definitely not joe louis, he was dumb as hell.......thought he could go thru life being humble and where did it lead him?.......he gave away his money to the army and the government repaid him by giving him huge tax debts.......he tried to be a symbol for the country but they wouldnt even treat him fairly, he couldnt even step inside the white house....sad to say but he was a sucker....a role model isnt somebody who shuts up and is scared to stand up for himself....

1. ali never changed who he was when he got famous, that i respect....he could have easily folded to the pressure and joined the army to keep his championship belt but he didnt....no one has been successful under as much pressure as ali....

2. hopkins, loses his first fight and then becomes a legend.....has trained the right way and thats why hes successful at such an old age...

3. pacquiao fights for the pride of his country so he wont even get unmotivated because of money like mike tyson did....

Comment

Working...
                      X