Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

150 is legit......

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
      Catchweights give the advantage to the smaller man, making the bigger man work harder to make weight so he's not 100% at his best in the ring.
      To offset the fact that he is bigger hence making it fair???? just saying......playin devil's advocate here.....hahaha
      Last edited by extracurRICular; 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
        To offset the fact that he is bigger hence making it fair???? just saying......playin devil's advocate here.....hahaha
        When i watch a fight i want to see both fighters at 100%, beating someone below their best isn't very impressive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
          When i watch a fight i want to see both fighters at 100%, beating someone below their best isn't very impressive to me.
          Sure I think that's what we all shoot for right? so an even playing field is best....but at what cost?

Comment

catchweight is okay specially if the guy is really a lightweight fighter going up to JMW. I just don't agree with the title being in play.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
              this fight was and is widely ridiculed.
              As well it should be. The idea that Donny Lalonde was a champ is widely ridiculed haha.

It highlights a realism in the sport, that "superstar" level fighters receive and expect special treatment in the sport.

Look at Roy Jones Jr., who jumped two weight divisions and fought for a heavyweight title in his first fight above 177.

Ray Leonard would dictate things like how many rounds the fight would be (made it 12 for Hagler instead of 15) and dominate money splits.

This is what the biggest problem with making Mayweather and Pacquiao; both guys feel that they are the biggest stars in boxing and aren't willing to concede anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 007geyweather View Post
                catchweight is okay specially if the guy is really a lightweight fighter going up to JMW. I just don't agree with the title being in play.
                I don't think a catchweight should ever be made in a title fight. I remember Mayweather wanted to fight Winky Wright with a stipulation that they fought with a day of the fight weigh-in. For Wright, who nearly died everytime he made 154 for the last few fights, it was simply too much of a handicap.

I can see where the need for a catchweight comes in for Pacquiao-Margarito, since Marg is much bigger and has only fought his most recent bout at 154. Still, if they do it that way, there shouldn't be a title at stake.

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
                  so basically your for catch weights??? just curious........
                  If you have the two best fighters in boxing around the division why not. For example Whitaker/Chavez bout.

Not a Pac/Margo fight for a vacant title, that makes no sense to me cause the fight proves nothing. I didn't like Leonard/Lanlode either

The catchweight should be to prove who is the better fighter in a fair condition. Not to collect a belt

Comment

Originally posted by eli porter View Post
                    yeah, but leonard was pretty famous for doing things like this.
                    Leonard was like a proto-Floyd in that regard.

Or is it that Floyd is Leonard 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by ForemanGrill View Post
                      Leonard was like a proto-Floyd in that regard.

Or is it that Floyd is Leonard 2.0?
                      You had Sugar Ray Robinson demanding a 75/25 purse split with Archie Moore, which was preposterous in itself.

You never heard of Ali making outrageous demands of opponents. He fought them all under fair circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                      X