Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pro's and Con's of "CATCH WEIGHT"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point of a catch weight fight is for two fighters from different weight classes to meet and fight fairly. However when fighting for a world title, you should respect the weight limit. And if it's too much for you then why even fight in the division? Fighting for a world title at a catch weigh just makes it a paper title. You're just taking the easy way.

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
      OK I get that due to recent events there is emotion in the mix......but taking the emotion out of this.....what are the pros and cons?

Pro's
      • There can be more exiting fights made....
      • there is more of a even playing field....

Con's
      • No matter who wins there are going to be excuses galore....
      • The belts are defined by the weight limits....a catch weight is not living up to that belt's title
      Rrgardless of this being Pacquiao. I am no fan but I respect his skills. So this is far from disliking the man himself. This is dislike towards the whole idea of catchweights. Those Cons you have listed IMO and personally speaking nullifies any and all other PROS. The moment you win a title by going the easy route (easy, because the person or persons participating cannot just man up and fight with honor and respect for THAT TITLE AT THAT WEIGHT CLASS) then that kills all pros which go with catchweights. The moment excuses can be made due to catchweights significant advantages or disadvantages, then I have lost respect to the entire fight itself. That's just me and my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
        Sugar Ray Leonard weighed 165 and Donny Lalonde weighed 167 when Lalonde defended his light-heavyweight title. The catch was that the fight would also be for a super-middleweight belt, too.

Pretty BS, I know.
        O yeah...the double weightclass championship, how could I forget. That's even more preposterous. Nobody complained about that fight.........the internet does many things.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHuracan View Post
          Rrgardless of this being Pacquiao. I am no fan but I respect his skills. So this is far from disliking the man himself. This is dislike towards the whole idea of catchweights. Those Cons you have listed IMO and personally speaking nullifies any and all other PROS. The moment you win a title by going the easy route (easy, because the person or persons participating cannot just man up and fight with honor and respect for THAT TITLE AT THAT WEIGHT CLASS) then that kills all pros which go with catchweights. The moment excuses can be made due to catchweights significant advantages or disadvantages, then I have lost respect to the entire fight itself. That's just me and my opinion.
          OK spoken like a stand up poster....greeen K going your way.....

Comment

A Manny/Margo fight there is no momentum to do this fight. It is not like Margo is at the top comming off of big wins and is one of the top guys in boxing. Floyd and Pac was the fight to make especially cause they fight at the same weight (doubt that fight will ever happen).

Catch weight to match the best fighters is acceptable cause it would make things more even and competitive.

The only con I can see if either fighter has to go to high in weight or drain themselves to much to be be competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
              Sugar Ray Leonard weighed 165 and Donny Lalonde weighed 167 when Lalonde defended his light-heavyweight title. The catch was that the fight would also be for a super-middleweight belt, too.

Pretty BS, I know.
              this fight was and is widely ridiculed.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
                A Manny/Margo fight there is no momentum to do this fight. It is not like Margo is at the top comming off of big wins and is one of the top guys in boxing. Floyd and Pac was the fight to make especially cause they fight at the same weight (doubt that fight will ever happen).

Catch weight to match the best fighters is acceptable cause it would make things more even and competitive.

The only con I can see if either fighter has to go to high in weight or drain themselves to much to be be competitive
                so basically your for catch weights??? just curious........

Comment

There are no cons to catchweights period
                  who ever loses will have all the excuses in the world
                  Any real boxng fan knows that this fight is horse crap
                  If Manny cant Man up and fight at 154 then stay theheck down at 147 or lower

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    There are no cons to catchweights period
                    who ever loses will have all the excuses in the world
                    Any real boxng fan knows that this fight is horse crap
                    If Manny cant Man up and fight at 154 then stay theheck down at 147 or lower
                    but I bet this fight still does numbers though....

Comment

Catchweights give the advantage to the smaller man, making the bigger man work harder to make weight so he's not 100% at his best in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X