Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could PBC's Next Deal Be With HBO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't see PBC going to HBO when they are on SHO and Fox. SHO has streaming available and Fox has FS1 for smaller cards. Also has dates on Bounce for small regional cards.

Comment

Well on the surface, it does sounds plausible. With Both GGG and Canelo leaving HBO soon, there appears to be power vacuum at the network.

In addition, besides HBO can use a pool of new talent since the majority of their fighters and promoters have left and moved on to other boxing networks.

Maybe a deal with the PBC in general and its fighters in particular could be the major turning point for keeping the network afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        Well on the surface, it does sounds plausible. With Both GGG and Canelo leaving HBO soon, there appears to be power vacuum at the network.

In addition, besides HBO can use a pool of new talent since the majority of their fighters and promoters have left and moved on to other boxing networks.

Maybe a deal with the PBC in general and its fighters in particular could be the major turning point for keeping the network afloat.
        Espinoza wouldpull his hair out if that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          HBO is not going to get any PBC content, and that was made explicitly clear when Haymon Sports signed their new deal with Showtime/CBS for four years and a believed $60m per year.

With that out the way, we can get back to reality.

No different than when Don King and Bob Arum divided the world in the 80s, HBO, if they stay in the boxing business, is going to need a house promoter for boxing.
          I don't think boxing is quite THAT divided these days. I mean technically Jacobs & Derevyanchenko ARE Haymon guys who've fought on PBC cards before as is & they are also headlining the next HBO.

Sure Matchroom has the deal with Jacobs, but with how Haymon is attached to fighters he can do sh^t where certain guys go anywhere. Haymon has guys fighting on all platforms basically now. He's got a wide ass net. Jessie Vargas just signed a deal with DAZN despite many fans seeming to think Haymon wouldn't piss on Hearn if he was on fire or vice versa.

And there is allegedly another TV deal about to be announced so clearly Haymon doesn't think he has enough dates to keep his massive roster busy. Idk why any party wouldn't do business with any other party if there is benefits to be had by doing so & I don't think Haymon wants HBO dead like a lot of pro- & anti-Haymon guys think.

With Time Warner now under the AT&T banner, the deck has basically been cleared of obligations from the team before AT&T; an assessment will be made by the new team, a budget will be set, and that budget is going to be spent on one promoter to deliver content for HBO.
          And working on this theory why is it 100% impossible that couldn't be a PBC friendly promoter like DiBella or Tom Brown who'd have their PBC connections & put on PBC fighters from time to time if not every show?

The only other standalone outfit with the juice to deliver on such a deal, from what I can see, is Golden Boy Promotions: $20m a year for 8-10 fight dates, backing for two Canelo PPVs per year, with the proceeds from the Canelo PPV either adding more shows to the schedule or helping finance a Canelo tickover off of PPV.

Canelo, Ryan Garcia, JoJo Diaz Jr, Diego De La Hoya, Jason Quigley, and the handful of prospects under that will become the crux of HBO Boxing, with Oscar reaching out and bringing others in as needed (Canelo vs Lemieux/Munguia are already fights that can be made for PPV).
          From the sounds of it HBO isn't saying the right sh^t to Oscar cuz Oscar's said some negative leaning things about HBO lately. Maybe that'll change in the weeks & months to come, but to me if you are betting on GBP/Canelo then you make a deal pre-fight to extend the deal with Canelo specifically & they didn't do that.

Seemingly the whole HBO roster is non-existent right now which is nuts. To me that doesn't suggest AT&T has gotta figure out the budget for 2019. That says they are ending their boxing product or they are re-booting it entirely & steering in a different direction with boxing from 2019 on.

Comment

Forget HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              There was a podcast about a week & change ago where Tim Smith (VP of Communications with Haymon Sports) said there will be another big announcement within a few weeks.

Its been theorized this is another TV partner.

HBO's doesn't seem to have anything on their calendar except oddly enough a fight between 2 Haymon fighters (under Matchroom Promotions). Its been said that Canelo & GGG will be free agents. Kovalev seemed to have gotten his walking papers recently as well. Jacobs & Matchroom appear to be on their last fight with HBO next month. And SuperFly 3 did some of the worst numbers for HBO in awhile.

With all that happening HBO hasn't really hinted at exiting the boxing business quite yet despite many, myself included, have been feeling like they will b exiting boxing virtually any time now or in the next few years.

Is it possible PBC & HBO will go into business with each other & that this new announcement PBC has is in relation to that? Or is Showtime & PBC working together going to make that an impossible alliance to make?

Heard this theory on the Sunday Puncher podcast & a solid argument was made for it without it getting shot down very much.
              I don't see why not. GBP is not going to fill HBO's schedule. It really depends on how serious HBO takes boxing from here on out.

What would be even cooler is if PBC got some fights on TNT/TBS. That would really shake things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                This guy used to work for HBO

Here is his latest podcast

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
                  I don't see why not. GBP is not going to fill HBO's schedule. It really depends on how serious HBO takes boxing from here on out.

What would be even cooler is if PBC got some fights on TNT/TBS. That would really shake things up.
                  I've mentioned that before. That would be perfect with the NBA on TNT. That audience would watch boxing. I mean you can market Russell Westbrook with the Charlo's.

Comment

Could Haymon maybe be getting Spike back in to take some cards? Please do anything to get fights off ****ing Bounce

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
                      Could Haymon maybe be getting Spike back in to take some cards? Please do anything to get fights off ****ing Bounce
                      Spike doesn't even exist any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X