No announcement yet.

Lower back pain while squatting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
    What do you mean by looks like they work out? Do you mean some kid who is in the development phase of their body around walking around at such a low body-fat percentage that they are actually shooting their long term development in the foot? Do you want to be an effective athlete or do you want to look good at the beach? Crossfit for example will make you look great with your shirt off but you are in line for an ass kicking.

Look 10 years ago we didn't even know who exactly how the muscle was built. Its been a very interesting decade, thanks to new invivo imaging we can actually see the process now. We know what happens and how it happens. We can see the stemcells becoming new muscle nuclei. We can see them growing. We can see them going dormant when training stops and exploding back when training starts again.

Strength training creates new neculi, high volume training grows existing nuclei.

We know for a fact now that youth should be dedicated to strength training. That is when the potential for new nuclei is at its highest. You have the rest of your life to grow those nuclei into nice looking beach muscles but only a very narrow window in your teens through 20s to make them.
    you read my comment wrong. I don't mind strength training, I strength train myself.

My beef with rippatoe is his book "starting stength."

You can tell who is using this book at the gym because they just squat non stop.

A lot of guys will stick with this program for a long time, not just beginners.

What I meant by they look like they dont lift, is because it's so focused on legs, all they get is a fat ass and big legs. You can't even tell by there upper body that they work out.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      you read my comment wrong. I don't mind strength training, I strength train myself.

My beef with rippatoe is his book "starting stength."

You can tell who is using this book at the gym because they just squat non stop.

A lot of guys will stick with this program for a long time, not just beginners.

What I meant by they look like they dont lift, is because it's so focused on legs, all they get is a fat ass and big legs. You can't even tell by there upper body that they work out.
      I dont think that starting strength is all about squatting. Its one of the few programs that still includes a lot of pressing. Which kids these days just dont do.

Rip would agree that his program is for beginners. Once you get past a certain point in your strength development you should move to a more periodized soviet style system like a westside variant.

Comment

Rest, get massaged, use a squatting coach, to correct form. Use a power suit after stretching, war up properly, don't leave the rack or hack squat machine.
        Stretch your hamstrings ans quads.

Don't **** up like me, and suffer a herniated disc!
        I pissed myself in my power suit when it happened. Rehab was a mofo! Life long injury!

Comment

Stretching is very important in a program but it should not be done before lifting. A good stretch actually weakens you in the short term and there is no medical evidence that stretching before activity prevents injury. What does prevent injury is being flexible which is achieved with a comprehensive flexibility program done over a long period of time. You will get your best results both in terms of flexibility and physical health if you stretch after your workouts.

Think if it this way. You stretch and go pull. Now your entire posterior chain is locked in the athletic position and you are going to walk around like that till your next stretch.

No do a dynamic warm up, get the blood flowing, get your joints lubricated. Do your lifts. Now get a good stretch in and return the muscles back to their neutral state.
          Last edited by GTTofAK; 03-29-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

You don't see old body builders or power lifters doing squats.

There's a reason for that, no matter how good your form is they will inevitably hurt you.

I know it's cool to squat these days, but tearing your back knees and hips up isn't worth it. When you get older the last thing you want in your life is back problems.

The human spine just hasn't evolved enough to do this kind of workout, especially so heavy.

Comment

There's a reason for that, no matter how good your form is they will inevitably hurt you.

I know it's cool to squat these days, but tearing your back knees and hips up isn't worth it. When you get older the last thing you want in your life is back problems.

The human spine just hasn't evolved enough to do this kind of workout, especially so heavy.
              I do high reps for my legs, I do squats to build strength, my main objective is not to lift crazy numbers. I believe form is crucial first, I would also advice is creating mobility in the ankles and hips, this will help in the squat,deadlift movements.

Comment

Yeah when you get older your potential for strength growth is pretty much gone without the aid of AAS.

Comment

Originally posted by AHussain123 View Post
                  I do high reps for my legs, I do squats to build strength, my main objective is not to lift crazy numbers. I believe form is crucial first, I would also advice is creating mobility in the ankles and hips, this will help in the squat,deadlift movements.
                  There's other ways to build strength that don't include squats.

Yeah when you get older your potential for strength growth is pretty much gone without the aid of AAS.
                  They don't see them squatting because they screwed up there body's when they were younger doing them. Going to any gym you want, you won't find any older experienced lifters doing squats, I guarantee it. If you do, there doing extremely light weight.

As for making gains as you get older, with how easy it is to get Dr. Prescribed testosterone you can continue to make gains as you age.

Comment

Going to any gym you want, you won't find any older experienced lifters doing squats, I guarantee it. If you do, there doing extremely light weight.
                    If my gray hairs count I'm an experienced older lifter. I still squat. I do have injuries like a bad hip but none of them happened in a gym.

Comment

If my gray hairs count I'm an experienced older lifter. I still squat. I do have injuries like a bad hip but none of them happened in a gym.
                      It's highly possible and maybe even probable squats weakened your hips before the injury finally happened.

I lift with body builders and power lifters, pretty much all of them squat and have had spine, amd hip injuries and constantly complain of sore knees, they don't want to accept that these problems will be much worse when there old.

Comment

Working...
                      X