Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Matthysse fans think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postol simply fought an intelligent and calculated fight... give credit to Freddie Roach too, you people.

Matthysse is still a good and watchable fighter, but maybe he lost some heart as others hint. Who knows.

Good fight for Postol.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
      Absolutely devestated, that headbutt changed something and the tide of the fight changed. Matthysse was punishing him until the headbutt which made him shell up. I think that's it from Lucas. He heard something pop in that eye he's had previous with. I want to thank him for all the great fights he's given us and hopefully he can rest and relax now.
      That's the way I see it too. After the headbutt he became very listless for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        noway in hell was there anything clear about the alexander fight, this is what I mean about Matthyse fans smh
        I dont really care for Lucas, but I really cant see how anyone scored that fight for Alexander. He threw pillow punches for most of the fight, most of which either didnt land or did nothing to Lucas. Its one of the few fights I will call an outright robbery

I scored the Judah fight 114-113 for Judah. That was an either way fight

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          I dont really care for Lucas, but I really cant see how anyone scored that fight for Alexander. He threw pillow punches for most of the fight, most of which either didnt land or did nothing to Lucas. Its one of the few fights I will call an outright robbery

I scored the Judah fight 114-113 for Judah. That was an either way fight
          I feel the alexander fight could have gone either way too. DA did good work, not hard punches but sharp and accurate a times but Matthysse did well too. Definitely not an outright robbery, that would mean you're comparing it to the likes of Pacquiao/Bradley or Chavez/Whitaker.

Anyway, doesn't take away from the point about Matt not wanting to go through a fire fight.

Comment

Simply put, Matthysse was drained, pretty simple to see. Don't know if they all felt it and that's why they went in trying to get the KO as soon as possible completely ignoring the gameplan going in of killing the body and Matthysse is usually also a much more prolific body puncher, either way the weight killed him later on, Like Dawson vs Ward and so many drained guys, they reach a point with no strength, physically or mental energy that at that point they just say what's the point and quit.

Anyway, I'm really hyped for Postol at the moment because I think he can beat alot of guys, I would just prefer him to start fighting sooner, those first couple of rd's had too much clinching from him, another one that did a great job I thought was the ref, tip my hat to that guy, calling out the clinch.
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 10-04-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I feel the alexander fight could have gone either way too. DA did good work, not hard punches but sharp and accurate a times but Matthysse did well too. Definitely not an outright robbery, that would mean you're comparing it to the likes of Pacquiao/Bradley or Chavez/Whitaker.

Anyway, doesn't take away from the point about Matt not wanting to go through a fire fight.
              Oh god.... It's starting.

Comment

I've always liked Matthysse and I've always said he is a good fighter but I've had several arguments on this forum with Matthysse fans who have called me a hater when I don't agree that he is an unstoppable machine. He couldn't stop an ageing Judah and lost and then he lost in a close fight to Alexander. Every step up, barring Peterson, has left Matthysse as a failure. Then came Garcia, "en dos round"...do you all remember that? Not only did Garcia beat him as a boxer that night, he broke Matthysse's heart. Molina almost took him out too.

Since then, I've been saying Matthysse lacks true fighting spirit and I was shocked he beat Provo but then again, Provo slowed down terribly in the later rounds, leaving the door open for Matthysse to go home a winner. In this fight, I expected Matthysse to box his way to a win but I also said that if Postol is real, this is his time to prove it. He proved it beyond any doubt.

So what do the Matthysse fans say now then? Is their man anything more than a perennial contender who has some decent pop? I don't think he is, I never did. And that's not hating, that's just recognising a fighter's ceiling.
                He looked drained to me at the weighin and he fought like a drained fighter.Definitely taking nothing away from Postol as he put on a great performance. Something was off with Matts last night and it wasn't just Postol's style, Matts wasn't with it for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  Simply put, Matthysse was drained, pretty simple to see. Don't know if they all felt it and that's why they went in trying to get the KO as soon as possible completely ignoring the gameplan going in of killing the body and Matthysse is usually also a much more prolific body puncher, either way the weight killed him later on, Like Dawson vs Ward and so many drained guys, they reach a point with no strength, physically or mental energy that at that point they just say what's the point and quit.

Anyway, I'm really hyped for Postol at the moment because I think he can beat alot of guys, I would just prefer him to start fighting sooner, those first couple of rd's had too much clinching from him, another one that did a great job I thought was the ref, tip my hat to that guy, calling out the clinch.
                  I agree.....that was my first impression at the weighin when I saw him and he still looked drained during the ring walk as well.

Comment

oh here come the excuses lol

Comment

Stopped reading after the loss to Jab and Devon. Anyone with sense had him winning those.

Comment

Working...
                      X