No announcement yet.

Favourite time period

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite time period

If you could have been around for any decade in boxing history what would you pick?

for me it would probably be the 70s just for the ali, foreman, frazier showdowns ... though I wouldn't mind having ringside seats when the fab fours were doing the business

Tough question, either the 50's or the 80's.

MW boxing was amazing during the 50's with SRR, Basilio, LaMotta, Fullmer, Olsen, Graziano, Zale, all fighting each other in some true classics.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Tough question, either the 50's or the 80's.

MW boxing was amazing during the 50's with SRR, Basilio, LaMotta, Fullmer, Olsen, Graziano, Zale, all fighting each other in some true classics.
      Following the career of a prime SRR would be mad

Comment

Originally posted by David Haye View Post
        Following the career of a prime SRR would be mad
        That was the 40's though

Comment

Would have to say the 70's.

There was so much more to it than the Heavyweights. Benvenuti, Napoles, Duran, Benitez (my favourite of the period), Monzon, the emergence of Leonard...it was a beautiful age for the sweet science.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            That was the 40's though
            we'll have to take two decades rather than one ... also imagine checking out some of those reallyu old fights that we can only see in grainy stop start black and white in the flesh back when boxing was the undisputed king of sports ... dempsey firpo - johnson jeffries -

Comment

Originally posted by David Haye View Post
              we'll have to take two decades rather than one ... also imagine checking out some of those reallyu old fights that we can only see in grainy stop start black and white in the flesh back when boxing was the undisputed king of sports ... dempsey firpo - johnson jeffries -
              I would a huge sum of money to watch any Greb fights.

Comment

I fell in lve with boxing in 1971 w/ Ali vs Frazier. It became like an obsession after that. I got all the boxing mags & books I could & started boxing amateur in the 178 lb division. My favorite 10 year period was probably 1973-1983, but the 1970's -1980's were sure fun times for me.

Also liked the 1950's & 1940's a bunch. Great, great champions in that time frame.

Comment

Probably the 70's. Given that Ali vs Foreman and vs Frazier III are perhaps my fave fights. Sad though that the 3 years (late 60's) we didn't have of Ali likely would have been his best. Still fleet of foot, while getting more powerful punches.

Honorable mention to the 40's. That that was when SRR was best as an unbeatable WW, and sadly there are few films extant of his fights or parts thereof. He was faster as a WW with his punches!

Comment

The roaring 20's!!

Greb, Walker, dempsey, Tunney, Flowers, B. Leonard, Wills, Langford, and that doesn't even include all the great contenders!!

Fascinating era!

Comment

Working...
                    X