No announcement yet.

Saving Boxing in the U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    haymons killed US boxing. as long as hes a key player, boxing in america wont thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      whats so funny...

Comment

Can we just start by not having some kind of controversy every time we have a big fight? Bad judging, bad refereeing, expensive PPV prices...its a ****show

Comment

America don't need saving at all. This is still the Mecca Of Boxing! Happy for AJ and glad he is doing great but Americas still own every Gate and PPV Record so it is going to take more than 1-2 years of success before trying to say what America needs to do

Superstars always emerge in America eventually! A New one will emerge and separate himself from the Rest and become the new Face of American Boxing. Just don't know who it will be yet and that is usually how it is. It could be Shakur Stevenson or Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney or guys who are not even pro yet like Joey Spencer, Delante Johnson, Marc Castro just have to wait and see. We have great History in boxing and are use to seeing Great Fighters! America is not desperate for something Great like others clearly!
          Last edited by sicko; 10-30-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qwickm3 View Post
            While listening to the broadcast of the AJ fight and hearing that it was breaking the record for an indoor fight, beating out the Superdome fight between Ali and Spinks it really made me ponder the downfall of boxing in the U.S. and how to fix it. The only way boxing comes back bigtime is to piggyback. The best non PPV ratings recently came when Errol Spence and Bundu fought right after the Olympic BBall game. Promoters need to find a way to get the best fighting the best after major NBA/NFL/MLB games. Can you imagine Thurman vs Spence right after an NFL playoff game. Garcia vs Loma after an NBA playoff game. Charlo vs. Golovkin after the NBA on Christmas day. When a TV network develops a new show they want to be successful the put it on right after the most popular show in their line up
            Good points never understood the media dissing PBC in the beginning.Now the way their blew a great chance to bring boxing back(networks showing boxing again)they do now deserve some s hite.But this ESPN deal could be huge but even with this boxing cant get it quite right.It should not have been just TOP RANK.Ex deals like that can and will keep you from showing any top fight.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              American don't need saving at all. This is still the Mecca Of Boxing! Happy for AJ and glad he is doing great but Americas still own every Gate and PPV Record so it is going to take more than 1-2 years of success before trying to say what America needs to do

Superstars always emerge in America eventually! A New one will emerge and separate himself from the Rest and become the new Face of American Boxing. Just don't know who it will be yet and that is usually how it is. It could be Shakur Stevenson or Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney or guys who are not even pro yet like Joey Spencer, Delante Johnson, Marc Castro just have to wait and see. We have great History in boxing and are use to seeing Great Fighters! America is not desperate for something Great like others clearly!
              Cant deny that every decade the sport is smaller and smaller

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                Good points never understood the media dissing PBC in the beginning.
                My take on that was it seems like a lot of boxing writers/media are bought & paid for by certain promotions. And Haymon being anti-coming out of his house or dealing with the media in general, had him on the outs with many of them or not embracing the quid pro quo world of boxing media in any way most boxing writers/media are used to when dealing with the bigger players in the sport.

I mean at the announcement of PBC many notable boxing writers were left out of the loop with the news. I think out of the gate that had many boxing writers/media saying good luck with that PBC thing or whatever it is.

Idk for sure obviously so thats just me theorizing & speculating, but with how "old media" boxing still is (in the US anyway, idk about elsewhere) I don't think its THAT crazy a theory or speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  My take on that was it seems like a lot of boxing writers/media are bought & paid for by certain promotions. And Haymon being anti-coming out of his house or dealing with the media in general, had him on the outs with many of them or not embracing the quid pro quo world of boxing media in any way most boxing writers/media are used to when dealing with the bigger players in the sport.

I mean at the announcement of PBC many notable boxing writers were left out of the loop with the news. I think out of the gate that had many boxing writers/media saying good luck with that PBC thing or whatever it is.

Idk for sure obviously so thats just me theorizing & speculating, but with how "old media" boxing still is (in the US anyway, idk about elsewhere) I don't think its THAT crazy a theory or speculation.
                  Not at all crazy was kinda thinkin that myself at least the part about him not giving intervievs.I think you hit it right on the button.

Comment

context is key

-Floyd just fought Conor McGregor in a fight that likely ended up generating north of $600m.

-After the time was invested, Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia had the fever built up to the point that they had over 5 million people watching them fight.

-For almost every PBC broadcast, the audience has consistently grown throughout the event (as folks find boxing on TV, PBC/Showtime was able to keep them tuned in).

-The live airing of Joshua-Klitschko did over 650k on Showtime in the early afternoon.

-In town after town, city after city, when presented with fights, I've been pleasantly surprised way more often then I'd been disappointed.

US boxing will be fine; keep putting on competitively matched fights (or at least fights with durable/rugged guys), expose them to the sports world as best you can, and let the audience build with a new crop of fighters as Floyd finally steps away and Manny basically gets pushed out.

Errol Spence Jr, Deontay Wilder, Mikey Garcia and others will all get their chance, and the fans will cycle behind the next star.

Ali, to the Four Kings, to Mike Tyson, to Oscar, to Floyd, and now it seems like it's shifting back to the heavyweights (with some really talented smaller guys coming along).

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                      Cant deny that every decade the sport is smaller and smaller
                      Yes it has declined Overall, nobody is just casually watching boxing between fighters they don't know compared to others sports in which fans can watch which ever match up between two teams no matter who is playing

The sport of boxing and the way Promoters Promote and the way Fighters connect with fans all of that needs to be changed from Top To Bottom. The Old Way no longer works! TV Commercials and Radio Commercials don't work anymore. Also ZERO effort to connect with a younger demographic

Comment

Working...
                      X