Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Smoking affecting boxer's performance??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bennett View Post
    that was also in a time where drug testing was at its lowest. dude was probably high on cocaine or something. no secret he liked his drugs. i know of many stories of fighters doing **** like that back in the day day.
    If you can win a fight while on a drug like blow/cannibis you deserve two titles.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
      If you can win a fight while on a drug like blow/cannibis you deserve two titles.
      weed builds concentration and has no effect on the lungs/breathing when eaten. bruce lee swore by his weed sugar cookies. a buddy from my gym won a few ams fights after eating some tree before the fight. he said its like punches are coming at you in slo motion.

as for cocaine, how can that not help? pryor took a weak version of it many a fight and look at his career!
      Last edited by Bennett; 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

If you want a recent example, check out this "promising" young undefeated boxer Vernon Paris. The first two rounds of his recent fight against some random guy he looked absolutely amazing. Using the shoulder roll pretty effectively and landing some amazing combinations with serious power. Unfortunately after rounds 3 and 4 he completely gassed out, and was basically a sitting target for the next 4 rounds and escaped with a generous decision.

As a smoker myself, I can tell you first hand that smoking effects any type of athletic performance, it makes your reflexes slower and severely reduces your stamina. Most athletes that are able to do it have to be exceptionally skilled at what they do. Many great soccer players from past and present smoke(d), but their exceptional skills allowed them to be competent, albeit while giving up a physical advantage they may have had over the competition. ex Dimitar Berbatov, Alessandro Nesta, Zidane, Cruyff, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
          On a serous note Carlos Monzon was a chain smoker, and would have cigarettes in the locker room before fights and so on.

Niccolino Locche was known to smoke between rounds.

Many of the past greats smoked heavily and went 15 rounds easy. It isn't good for your overall health, but I question whether it can affect individual performances. After awhile though your body has to start breaking down from it. Maybe a reason why so many fighters had such short careers, age wise.

Comment

To add, JCC use to show up drunk for press confrences....

Comment

Originally posted by r ! z View Post
              mosley smokes?
              Mosley would get a spanking from his dad if he ever did.

Comment

There are so any excellent fighters who smoked cigarettes. Jack Lamotta did. I smoked while I was fighting, not that I was anything extraordinary but it can be done and has been done since the beginning of it all.

I know Vernon Paris, reffed some of his amatuer bouts. I never knew him to be a smoker. He is a badass though, he can fight.

If you smoke and fight you will need to bust balls every day in the gym to gain the cardio. The thing is that when you smoke you will be coughing up loogies during training on a constant basis. It's because you are expanding your lungs to a geat degree which causes the tobacco build up that coats your lungs to fall from the walls of your lungs which then causes you to spit up those nasty greenish-brown loogies.

I would not recommend that a fighter smoke but if he does it in no way means that he will certainly fall short.

WhenI was rollin' good I was 6-8 rounds a day sparring, 4-6 on the bag, 4 on the speed bag, 4 rounds on the rope, 20-30 mins on the stair climber and thats not to mention the road/hill work in the mornings. You couls ask Jackie or Bill Miller about this, I worked my ass off and when it camefight time I was in top shape and ready to roll.

I remember warring in the Palace with this guy and stopping him in the 4th. He was wearing down from the body shots and such and I was still strong as ever. After the fight I got some stitches, showered and dressed and went out to find my friends. I was on the arena floor and I saw them up on the next level. Equipment bag over my shoulder I bound up those stairs 2 at a time until I got to the top.

Again, not that I would recommend it but smoking can be done while being a fighter......................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  There are so any excellent fighters who smoked cigarettes. Jack Lamotta did. I smoked while I was fighting, not that I was anything extraordinary but it can be done and has been done since the beginning of it all.

I know Vernon Paris, reffed some of his amatuer bouts. I never knew him to be a smoker. He is a badass though, he can fight.

If you smoke and fight you will need to bust balls every day in the gym to gain the cardio. The thing is that when you smoke you will be coughing up loogies during training on a constant basis. It's because you are expanding your lungs to a geat degree which causes the tobacco build up that coats your lungs to fall from the walls of your lungs which then causes you to spit up those nasty greenish-brown loogies.

I would not recommend that a fighter smoke but if he does it in no way means that he will certainly fall short.

WhenI was rollin' good I was 6-8 rounds a day sparring, 4-6 on the bag, 4 on the speed bag, 4 rounds on the rope, 20-30 mins on the stair climber and thats not to mention the road/hill work in the mornings. You couls ask Jackie or Bill Miller about this, I worked my ass off and when it camefight time I was in top shape and ready to roll.

I remember warring in the Palace with this guy and stopping him in the 4th. He was wearing down from the body shots and such and I was still strong as ever. After the fight I got some stitches, showered and dressed and went out to find my friends. I was on the arena floor and I saw them up on the next level. Equipment bag over my shoulder I bound up those stairs 2 at a time until I got to the top.

Again, not that I would recommend it but smoking can be done while being a fighter......................Rockin'
                  In a long run, i bet you my life you wont last long...

Comment

Nothing good whatsoever to be gained by a boxer smoking. Unhealthy lifestyles ruin fighters just as much if not more than physical damage in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian16 View Post
                      In a long run, i bet you my life you wont last long...
                      I'm sure that you are speaking from your experience in the ring. Sooooo many fighters smoked.............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X