No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Explains Why Ditching HBO For ESPN Was The Right Move

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scipio2009 View Post
    daniel jacobs vs andy lee, from barclays center, is a fight that could easily be set for september/october, and is a fight that has no ties to golden boy (if showtime isn't gung-ho about jacobs' return fight, the bout could easily end up on primetime fox).

I simply don't see the value in jacobs going to canelo's undercard, especially weighing headlining his own show against being the chief support to a ppv that's not likely to top 1m ppv buys.
    i didnt understand jacobs on canelos undercard either but maybe haymon and oscar came to an understanding! Im sure linares will go to showtime in 2018 and fight mikey also! So its a give and take! Putting jacobs on canelos card is a good move by golden boy and could bring in some more ppv buys! I dont really care where he fights! I dont think andy lee is with haymon also didnt he retire or something a while back?

Comment

• Originally posted by p4ptbe View Post
      i didnt understand jacobs on canelos undercard either but maybe haymon and oscar came to an understanding! Im sure linares will go to showtime in 2018 and fight mikey also! So its a give and take! Putting jacobs on canelos card is a good move by golden boy and could bring in some more ppv buys! I dont really care where he fights! I dont think andy lee is with haymon also didnt he retire or something a while back?
      Andy Lee just picked up a win in March, and he has a really good relationship with Lou DiBella.

If Linares doesn't fight Mikey Garcia, he gets stripped of the belt and he's left hand that "Turbo" Terry and Frank Warren don't just decide to take up Mikey Garcia on a fight (BoxNation/Showtime International with an evening re-air in front of a live event).

I'm just not seeing what the win is here for Haymon/PBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by scipio2009 View Post
        andy lee just picked up a win in march, and he has a really good relationship with lou dibella.

If linares doesn't fight mikey garcia, he gets stripped of the belt and he's left hand that "turbo" terry and frank warren don't just decide to take up mikey garcia on a fight (boxnation/showtime international with an evening re-air in front of a live event).

I'm just not seeing what the win is here for haymon/pbc.
        maybe its just a gesture to smooth things out! Thats my guess! Jacobs is a big name and he can make a good paycheck as co main event

Comment

• Originally posted by p4ptbe View Post
          maybe its just a gesture to smooth things out! Thats my guess! Jacobs is a big name and he can make a good paycheck as co main event
          He could make just as good a payday headlining his own show in Brooklyn.

Still, maybe it is some kind of gesture; I don't get it though

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetruthiserrol View Post
            Arum's TV deal with ESPN is already more successful than PBC. Haymon had the chance to bring back boxing to the masses via free TV but failed miserably through crappy match ups, multiple network deals (should've done one, like UFC and Arum) and inactive fighters.
            Your kidding right??

Comment

• Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
              Great move by Arum.
              Only move bob can make. He had NO choice but to follow the pack (Al & his stable, PBC). HBO didn't want manny vs Vargas on PPV-HBO so boby was stuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
                Good deal. Im happy with anybody that puts on boxing events. Hopefully he pulls it of on espn. I believe the problem pbc has (other than a lot of bs fights with ppl i didnt want) is it should have had a few big cards on regular fox and the rest on espn. Instead of putting cards on 15 diferent channels. And maybe used same broadcasters we could get used to. And not that joe rogan wannabe mfr. I do dig bryan kinney a lot and wards trainer and also dig atlas and tessitore. Either way i hope they all come out strong for the selfishness of myself and the sport of boxing
                Teddy already messed up the Jeff horn vs pacquiao fight.....PBC is KILLING the competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
                  Smart move by Arum. HBO wasn't given as many dates or money as he wanted and ESPN seems to be fully invested in boxing with Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank.

Hopefully he does business with other promotional companies and doesn't shut business down with HBO like how Oscar did with Showtime.
                  Bob had no choice but to make that move....& ESPN fits boby's agendas......

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    the matchups were terrible. all you care about is knockouts? werent the pbc fans the ones complaining about fans only wanting to see knockouts and people not appreciating slick boxing now they are content with knockouts even if the matchups are complete sh-it.
                    At least PBC make the match ups more even while espn is going to put loma vs a dude who just moved up in weight & is coming off a loss plus has a loss to someone loma already beat...

Comment

• Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
                      Arums first fight with espn did better ratings than any of haymons mismatches
                      So if Al put Floyd on PBC you don't think it will blow manny mouse out the water? I thought so.

Comment

Working...
                      X