No announcement yet.

Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?

No, you're basing this on their reactions to Julian's power. Bums can have superior chins over world class fighters.

I've never seen a fighter put more fighters to absolute sleep than Jackson. Not at that ratio. You can pick any knockout artist with what, 40, 50 maybe 60+ ko's under their belt. Even for them they will not have ko'd that many guys completely unconcious with 1 single shot.

Frankly, it's bizarre how Jackson did this in such a devastating manner. Truly the touch of death. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he had metal plates in his handwraps, which is of course a ridiculous accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
      No, you're basing this on their reactions to Julian's power. Bums can have superior chins over world class fighters.

I've never seen a fighter put more fighters to absolute sleep than Jackson. Not at that ratio. You can pick any knockout artist with what, 40, 50 maybe 60+ ko's under their belt. Even for them they will not have ko'd that many guys completely unconcious with 1 single shot.

Frankly, it's bizarre how Jackson did this in such a devastating manner. Truly the touch of death. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he had metal plates in his handwraps, which is of course a ridiculous accusation.
      Norris was able to get up after getting hit by Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        Norris was able to get up after getting hit by Jackson.

It looks to me like Norris went to sleep and was woken back up by the follow up shots and falling to the canvas.

Comment

I've followed boxing since the mid-70s, and Jackson is definitely the most scaring puncher I've witnessed.

The great Mike McCallum, 55 fights and never stopped, beat an unknown, upcoming Jackson in two rounds in 1986. Summing up his career, McCallum testified he never before or later had been hit harder than in that fight.

Comment

This thread was just as dumb on ESB as it is here.

Comment

--- most viewers automatically impressed with his power.

He lacked the higher attributes to become a great, but I dare say Julian is beloved by boxing aficionados for giving it his all.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?
                No his power was scary, say what you want, Jackson fought Herol Graham who was in his Prime, one of my favourite all time fighters period, along with Terry Norris (yes had a weak chin) but this made it more exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                  I've followed boxing since the mid-70s, and Jackson is definitely the most scaring puncher I've witnessed.

The great Mike McCallum, 55 fights and never stopped, beat an unknown, upcoming Jackson in two rounds in 1986. Summing up his career, McCallum testified he never before or later had been hit harder than in that fight.
                  Yes sure did McCallum legs buckled badly

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                    This thread was just as dumb on ESB as it is here.
                    Must be the same guy putting up the post

Comment

Working...
                    X