No announcement yet.

fear of fighting need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fear of fighting need advice

so I've been boxing for a year now and I really like the sport but there's just one problem I have. I have a fear of fighting. I tend to practice the technique by myself rather than with other people. Im more of a peacemaker and I dont really like violence but I want to desensitize myself and get used to physical confrontation. So one day I was having a training session with my coach and he mentions getting me a sparring partner. I got nervous when he said that and I insisted that he didnt do that because I wouldnt want to hurt others and I mention my fear of fighting and getting hurt. whenever I see people at the gym sparring I get rather uneasy watching them. I cant even watch matches on Tv or movies with fight scenes in them because i dont like to see other people hurting. To build confidence, I joined one sparring class however i ended up being tense and i didnt really go on the offensive that much. any advice to get over this would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by nvpehem View Post
    so I've been boxing for a year now and I really like the sport but there's just one problem I have. I have a fear of fighting. I tend to practice the technique by myself rather than with other people. Im more of a peacemaker and I dont really like violence but I want to desensitize myself and get used to physical confrontation. So one day I was having a training session with my coach and he mentions getting me a sparring partner. I got nervous when he said that and I insisted that he didnt do that because I wouldnt want to hurt others and I mention my fear of fighting and getting hurt. whenever I see people at the gym sparring I get rather uneasy watching them. I cant even watch matches on Tv or movies with fight scenes in them because i dont like to see other people hurting. To build confidence, I joined one sparring class however i ended up being tense and i didnt really go on the offensive that much. any advice to get over this would be greatly appreciated.
    If you don’t want to fight, don’t let anyone force you into it.

Punching someone in the head repeatedly in an attempt to make their brain hit the surrounding bones and resulting in them loosing conciousness isn’t for everyone.

Comment

You're a man. You're supposed to fight.

Willingness to fight, and the ability to fight, will increase your chances at getting an attractive female to mate with. She will feel secure around you and will respect you infinitely more than if you cant/dont/wont fight.

Comment

Originally posted by nvpehem View Post
        Start with light sparring and take it from there. Find a sparring partner who'll agree to hold back and build on that session to session. If you want to fight, start increasing the intensity of the sparring. If you don't, keep it technical and throw softer punches. It's all about what YOU want.

Comment

I like what Le Grand said, that makes sense to me. Also your coach should be intuitive enough to recognize your demeanor and match you with a proper sparring partner. The last thing you need is to jump directly into a pissing contest/slug fest when starting to spar. Desensitizing oneself to anything should be done incrementally. Pick some other things in your life that you can work on changing in tandem and run parallel to this. Play these off each other. Realize that it will take a fundamental change in how you think and view the world. Sounds like you want to toughen yourself mentally and this could realistically effect many aspects of your life. Much respect to all those who can look inwardly and recognize the things they can change to help them become a more well rounded individual

Comment

Take up soccer or basketball

Comment

I'm in agreement with sparring. Start at 25% speed with someone who will stay at that level with you. Stay at 25% for as long as you need.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                If you don’t want to fight, don’t let anyone force you into it.

Punching someone in the head repeatedly in an attempt to make their brain hit the surrounding bones and resulting in them loosing conciousness isn’t for everyone.
                But I want to be strong enough so that I can stop feeling uneasy if I get hurt/ hurt someone

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                  You're a man. You're supposed to fight.

Willingness to fight, and the ability to fight, will increase your chances at getting an attractive female to mate with. She will feel secure around you and will respect you infinitely more than if you cant/dont/wont fight.
                  Uhhh that kind of “motivation” is not something I’m really interested in lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                    I like what Le Grand said, that makes sense to me. Also your coach should be intuitive enough to recognize your demeanor and match you with a proper sparring partner. The last thing you need is to jump directly into a pissing contest/slug fest when starting to spar. Desensitizing oneself to anything should be done incrementally. Pick some other things in your life that you can work on changing in tandem and run parallel to this. Play these off each other. Realize that it will take a fundamental change in how you think and view the world. Sounds like you want to toughen yourself mentally and this could realistically effect many aspects of your life. Much respect to all those who can look inwardly and recognize the things they can change to help them become a more well rounded individual
                    Thank you sm sounds good I’ll try that

Comment

Working...
                    X