Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a non american be the mega face of boxing?? (AKA GGG)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
    Nello can certainly reach JCC status....but I dunno bout global face ala DLH??
    canelo will NEVER reach JCC status because that hype train will end with GGG (assuming canelo finds the courage to fight him).

canelo has yet to convincingly beat a top fighter. i don't understand why he gets so much hype for achieving so little. he is not even the best young mexican boxer today and isn't very exciting.

Comment

Pacman was and still is a HUGE name!
      Cotto was one of the big three ppv names, canelo is now pretty damn big. So it's possible.

Comment

GGG seems to be the best bet right now. Not sure what Canelo lacks but it's something, can't put my finger on it.

Maybe because he couldn't take out Floyd? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
          Nello can certainly reach JCC status....but I dunno bout global face ala DLH??
          De La Hoya a global face? no one in Europe knew who tf he was.

Tyson and Ali are really the only global stars.

Comment

with GGG planning on fighting 4 times a year, he can definitely grow his brand...plus its on free HBO? plenty will tune in to watch

Comment

As long as his English keeps slowly improving and more importantly he keeps knocking out his opponents, I don't see why he couldn't be the face of boxing. His style is very appeasing to casual fans...ask a lot of casuals about their favorite boxers and I'm sure you will get a lot of responses saying Tyson. Obviously Mike was American but still, the knockout streak will have people wanting to see GGG fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
                canelo will NEVER reach JCC status because that hype train will end with GGG (assuming canelo finds the courage to fight him).

canelo has yet to convincingly beat a top fighter. i don't understand why he gets so much hype for achieving so little. he is not even the best young mexican boxer today and isn't very exciting.
                What makes you think Canelo of all people would duck Golovkin?

Comment

Golovkin's popularity grows with every impressive performance he puts on but i'm not convinced he is the next face of boxing, maybe Canelo won't be either but i would give him a better chance.

One thing that doesn't help Golovkin is that he's 32 now. Not old but certainly no spring chicken. He needs the mega fights ASAP if he's going to become the face of boxing.

Comment

Any knockout artist is capable of being the face of boxing, if they're the truth. Doesn't matter where you're from, people love knockouts.

Comment

Do you mean American born? GGG is moving to America.

Comment

Working...
                      X