Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk, Gassiev Could Be One Step Away Before Heavyweight Leap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Usyk, Gassiev Could Be One Step Away Before Heavyweight Leap

By Thomas Gerbasi - By this time next year, the two best cruiserweights in the world will likely be throwing hands among the big boys, just another reminder that in the boxing world, the division above light heavyweight and below heavyweight is always going to be the red-headed stepchild of the sport. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy Oleksandr Usyk and Murat Gassiev while they remain at 200 pounds...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Adding 20 pounds will not make them super heavyweight! Why not separate a limit for this one!

Comment

Wilder's monitoring closely, ready to go down to cruiserweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Letmaku View Post
        Adding 20 pounds will not make them super heavyweight! Why not separate a limit for this one!
        Gassiev walks at 220 and Usyk at 210-215. They don't need to add 20 pounds but adding 10 pounds are enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Letmaku View Post
          Both will be able to eat what they want during camp, and put on a little more muscle. I'd expect Usyk and Gassiev to fight at 230lbs at HW.

Comment

I keep forgetting that Gassiev is still only 24! He will improve, and will likely be heavier and stronger in a few years time .. but enough to beat the top HWs? I'm not sure about that.

Of the two, I think Usyk's speed, mobility, stamina and tricky southpaw boxing would be better assets against a super HW than Gassiev's strength and power.

Usyk gave Joe Joyce a boxing lesson over 5 rounds in the WSB, and I could see him doing the same thing to most of the top 5 HWs over 12.

You don't need to ko your opponent to win world titles, as Tyson Fury demonstrated against Wlad.

Comment

I hope they both go to HW soon! HW division needs some guys with boxing skills and courage! You don't have to be 6'7"! Look at what Tyson did to Razor Ruddock, Carl "The Truth" Williams, and Frank Bruno! They all had a significant heaight/reach advantage, and Tyson still won! Dorticos should make the move too!

Comment

To be honest I hope they both will continue at Heavyweight, no matter who wins or loses that fight. They will climb the ranks quickly and will be able to challenge the top 5 by the end of next year.

I think both of them would beat some top 10 Heavyweights right now, and the division isnt that strong anyway.

They both beat guys like Hughie Fury, Breazeale right now, Ortiz and Povetkin, both about 40 years old are also ripe for the taking and way past prime. Parker and Whyte would be tough fights but I would also favor Gassiev/Usyk even now.
                Last edited by Jubei; 07-18-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

i think the HW division would be better off with them, so sooner the better

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                    I keep forgetting that Gassiev is still only 24! He will improve, and will likely be heavier and stronger in a few years time .. but enough to beat the top HWs? I'm not sure about that.

Of the two, I think Usyk's speed, mobility, stamina and tricky southpaw boxing would be better assets against a super HW than Gassiev's strength and power.

Usyk gave Joe Joyce a boxing lesson over 5 rounds in the WSB, and I could see him doing the same thing to most of the top 5 HWs over 12.

You don't need to ko your opponent to win world titles, as Tyson Fury demonstrated against Wlad.

He's 24 and looks mid-to late 30's. The guy is a legit manchild.

Comment

Working...
                    X