No announcement yet.

Hatton, Maidana, Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
    "The Hands of Stone" became the Belly of Jelly when the final bell rang. Dude had a James Toney-esque appetite.
    He was huge once he retired, but recently lost a ton of weight.

Comment

--- In defense of Buster, he was very much related to his fellow Buster Mathias.

Both skilled boxers, big boned and heavy with congenital weight problems due to the prediabetic syndrome that precedes the onslaught of diabetes.

They have to completely alter their lifestyle to survive. Mathias didn't make it in the day, but Douglas seems ok for now.

I was really proud of his comeback after his near death and he was one fight away from a title shot before getting KOed, so well done Buster.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        He was huge once he retired, but recently lost a ton of weight.
        Yeah, they showed him seated at some fight. He looked like he was doing very well. It's good. He's damn sure earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          --- In defense of Buster, he was very much related to his fellow Buster Mathias.

Both skilled boxers, big boned and heavy with congenital weight problems due to the prediabetic syndrome that precedes the onslaught of diabetes.

They have to completely alter their lifestyle to survive. Mathias didn't make it in the day, but Douglas seems ok for now.

I was really proud of his comeback after his near death and he was one fight away from a title shot before getting KOed, so well done Buster.
          Just out of curiosity, did either have diabetes before letting their weight get out of control? I only ask because diabetes is a controllable disease as long as you take care of it. Most don't. I just want to know if they were affected with it beforehand.

Comment

--- I don't know the Mathias circumstance other than I'm certain in his day a diagnosis of diabetes in the fight biz was the death knoll of a career. Diabetics cut and bruise very easy. The Celts had a crackerjack player, Havelicek? who played with it, but keep in mind there's two major types and the genetics and lifestyle of a person play a role in the severity. My mom passed in her 40s after only 10 yrs with it and my bro passed at the same age. My moms bro had it all his adult life and made 70.

I don't have it and don't carry the gene markers for it, so I'd think my kids are ok, but Buster was full blown diabetic in his comeback which is why he looked both flimsier and flabbier, but still had the skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Just out of curiosity, did either have diabetes before letting their weight get out of control? I only ask because diabetes is a controllable disease as long as you take care of it. Most don't. I just want to know if they were affected with it beforehand.
              That's what I always thought with Bowe. His weight would go crazy between fights.

Comment

Working...
              X