Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing promoters should form a pact to recognise one organisation belt.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    I would rank Lomachenko #1 at 130. But Tank Davis is quite gifted and would be in with a shout, I think he could give him a close fight and there's an outside shot he might even win.

Braehmer or Zeuge can't really say the same.

So while all of them make money thanks to multiple belts they are not equivalent in my opinion. Different levels.
    Certainly different levels but that is beside the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
      Certainly different levels but that is beside the point.
      I'd be fine with a world where maybe Tank Davis has to be without a belt and settle for #2 in his weight class. Over time the general public would recognize who the champs are and would respect what an accomplishment a high ranking truly represents.

Isn't that preferable to the current world where there are too many belts and the public has no idea who the best is...but the likes of Zeuge and Braehmer and Wilder get to make money out of the confusion?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        I'd be fine with a world where maybe Tank Davis has to be without a belt and settle for #2 in his weight class. Over time the general public would recognize who the champs are and would respect what an accomplishment a high ranking truly represents.

Isn't that preferable to the current world where there are too many belts and the public has no idea who the best is...but the likes of Zeuge and Braehmer and Wilder get to make money out of the confusion?
        You'd be fine with that world, as would I, but most of the audience and basically everyone in the industry would not.

Which general public? you have lots of different countries and each of their perspectives is only going to have a chance to be similar if they all get to see the same fights on their tv and their interest will likely wane if not enough of these events and fighters are in/from their countries. Obviously that is a lot more possible today but you'd likely have to have a single promotional entity controlling it all. Ultimately I think it could ****** the popularity of the sport in these countries.

That said I obviously want to see the best face the best and for there to be as clear a number one in each division as possible but I don't think that you need a clear number one at every point in time. I think you can have multiple champions and a unification every 2-4 years. Although even that is very hard to achieve.

Comment

Working...
        X