The $64,000 Question: Dr. Joyce Brothers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $64,000 Question: Dr. Joyce Brothers

The $64,000 Question 1955

Here is the $64,000 (multi-part) final Question Dr. Joyce Brother’s answered correctly.

Without googling, can anyone answer these questions? I couldn’t answer but one, the last one.

__________________________________________________ _

1. What were the gloves of Roman gladiators in the Colosseum called?

2. Who was the first scientific boxer, heavyweight champion of England in 1791?

3. What was the name of the heavyweight champion of England who taught a famous poet the art of boxing?

4. Who wrote the famous essay ‘The Fight’ after having seen Bill Neat defeat Tom Hickman for the English heavyweight title in 1821, and what was Hickman’s nickname?

5. What was the full name of the Marquis of Queensberry, who set up the Queensberry rules?

6. In 1933, Primo Carnera defended the world heavyweight title abroad. Who was his opponent, and where did they meet?

7. How many times did Jack Dempsey floor Luis Firpo in their famous fight in New York? How long did the fight last, within 30 seconds?

I couldn't answer all those questions but I remember reading that Dr. Brothers, a psychologist that appeared often on tv, had a photographic memory. She was not an expert on boxing but chose the subject to show her ability.

Comment

Quite a gift if she was able to recall those details from her perusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        The $64,000 Question 1955

Here is the $64,000 (multi-part) final Question Dr. Joyce Brother’s answered correctly.

Without googling, can anyone answer these questions? I couldn’t answer but one, the last one.

__________________________________________________ _

1. What were the gloves of Roman gladiators in the Colosseum called?

2. Who was the first scientific boxer, heavyweight champion of England in 1791?

3. What was the name of the heavyweight champion of England who taught a famous poet the art of boxing?

4. Who wrote the famous essay ‘The Fight’ after having seen Bill Neat defeat Tom Hickman for the English heavyweight title in 1821, and what was Hickman’s nickname?

5. What was the full name of the Marquis of Queensberry, who set up the Queensberry rules?

6. In 1933, Primo Carnera defended the world heavyweight title abroad. Who was his opponent, and where did they meet?

7. How many times did Jack Dempsey floor Luis Firpo in their famous fight in New York? How long did the fight last, within 30 seconds?
        I will try:

1: Caestus
        2: James Figg
        3: James Figg.....
        4: Jack London. Hickmans nick was King.
        5: Dont know. Guessing 6 names or so would be futile lol.
        6: Maybe Italy. Opponent I have no idea.
        7: 7. I know the fight was over in round 3, so my guess is at 1.50 in round 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I will try:

1: Caestus
          2: James Figg
          3: James Figg.....
          4: Jack London. Hickmans nick was King.
          5: Dont know. Guessing 6 names or so would be futile lol.
          6: Maybe Italy. Opponent I have no idea.
          7: 7. I know the fight was over in round 3, so my guess is at 1.50 in round 3.
          1. Close enough to say correct [Cestus].
          2. Incorrect - funny Figg is the most common wrong answer.
          3. Incorrect
          4. London is a good guess but . . . incorrect
          5. Inncorrect
          6. Italy is almost right, need city and opponent.
          7. Close and close - (hint it was seven in the first round).

Like I said I only got one right, number 7.

Thanks for trying.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            I couldn't answer all those questions but I remember reading that Dr. Brothers, a psychologist that appeared often on tv, had a photographic memory. She was not an expert on boxing but chose the subject to show her ability.
            Brother’s coach for the competition was Col. Edward Egan a former New York State boxing commissioner, but maybe more importantly was Dr. Brother’s relationship with Nat Fleischer.

According to Fleischer, Brothers spent several weeks hunkered down in The Ring Magazine’s New York offices studying all the available resources, focusing on The Ring Record Book(s) as her main source.

In an interview, after the competition, Nat Fleischer stated that he believed Dr. Brother’s had some sort of eidetic memory, (my word not his) stating that she could read a page of statistics and then repeat the page back almost verbatim; this she did with thousands of pages from The Ring Record Book(s).

Comment

Damn, eidetic memory is rare, wish I had that. She should've been on more game shows and just made millions that way and retired haha.

Comment

Working...
              X